Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I wil never get it right >
  • I wil never get it right

• I wil never get it right

Old 01-22-2014, 05:33 PM
    Power Poster

I have had the same problem. I figure if all the blocks are made by me, it should not make much difference, unless someone comes by with a ruler. :-)
    Old 01-22-2014, 06:02 PM

I got a 1/4 inch foot with guide and my accuracy has improved so much. And I am an experienced sewer and didn't think I needed it. On another machine, I don't have a presser foot with guide and the needle is not in the center of the 1/4 " presser foot. I adjust the needle position so that when I use the right side of the presser foot as my visual guide, the needle is in a position so I get a perfect 1/4". Hope this makes sense to you.
    Old 01-22-2014, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
    tapper-I use the Sta-Flo concentrated liquid starch and mix it 50/50 in a spray bottle. I spray starch each fabric that I'll be working with that day at least TWO HOURS before I'm going to be using it, in the meanwhile, the starched fabric is in a plastic bag, after the minimum time mentioned, I'll either take it out of the bag and either let it air dry or stick it in the drier for a few minutes, if you do it this way, there's generally no residue mess on the iron, because you're ironing the FABRIC and NOT the starch. I do small pieces and large pieces. I'm not sure what you mean by keeping the starch off other items, unless you're talking about whatever you're spraying the fabric. If you have the table space and a large paint brush, you can BRUSH the starch on, but off course it will have to be a laminate table/counter or the like. I would like to try the brushing, but my cutting table usually isn't cleared off enough to lay fabric on, so will have to stick to spraying.
    Thank you. That is what I wanted to know. Now, to find some sta-flo. I don't think I've ever seen it at the stores. May have to order online.
    Thanks again.
    Old 01-23-2014, 02:23 AM

Try looking in Walmart or Target for the Sta-flo. Grocery stores don't seem to carry it but the others usually do - at least by me.
    Old 01-23-2014, 04:19 AM

I sometimes think we can be too critical of ourselves. Maybe here is another way to look at this 1/4 seam that is driving you crazy!!! If you make your quilt with all the same seam, whether its a perfect 1/4th or not it will all work out because the seams are all the same. When you finish are you pleased with your quilts? I mean after all do you have quilt police that come and check the 1/4 seam? To be honest, after the quilt is finished no one knows if the seam was perfect or not. I look at it this way, my quilt may not be perfect but it was made with love, and those that receive them will hopefully love them for the same reason. I honestly bet they never even know the seams might be off a tad. Just have fun with your quilting, enjoy it, and stop worrying about being "perfect". One of these days I bet it will happen all on its own : )
    Old 01-23-2014, 05:00 AM

I get my sta-flo at Wal Mart
    Old 01-23-2014, 05:49 AM

tapper the advise has been good when I first started quilting that was my biggest problem until I trie the Mary Ellen Hopkins way just relax sew for fun and go Mary's way PPM personal private measurements as long as you are consistent it works and the best book I still have in my Library is it is OK to sit on my quilt by Mary Ellen Hopkins and the quarter inch seem will become very easy just relax sew for fun and enjoy I have not run into any quilt police on the board
    Old 01-23-2014, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by tapper
    Thank you. That is what I wanted to know. Now, to find some sta-flo. I don't think I've ever seen it at the stores. May have to order online.
    Thanks again.
    Some Wal-Marts have it.
    Old 01-23-2014, 08:33 AM

you know Tapper - I have never known a single perfect person. Starch may be the item to get nearest your 1/4" mark, but don't think that ANY persons quilt is 100% 1/4" seamed. Relax and enjoy what you are doing, stop beating yourself up.
    Old 01-23-2014, 08:45 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Try sewing on 1/4 inch grid graph paper. See where the needle hits and where the edge of the presser foot lines up.
    I agree with bearisgray. Check out the accuracy of your machine. If that turn out OK, then check your pressing. It is a problem for me so I am always taking EB technique of being able to trim down ANY block I make using it as often as possible. I also discovered that there is always a tiny hump on the side you press your seam allowance to. I started cutting my lines on the outside of the edge of the line not down the center. We are just talking about a needle's width but it has made my blocks more accurate to share with others. Half square triangles I always make them a little bigger, starch and press them, trim and then they go up on the design wall to be stitched into rows. On a test block, press your seams open and see if that hump is where you are losing a tiny bit on each seam. PM me if you have any further questions on my method. Consistency can be your best friend !!