Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I won a raffle quilt.  Would everyone hate me if I sold it? >
  • I won a raffle quilt. Would everyone hate me if I sold it?

• I won a raffle quilt. Would everyone hate me if I sold it?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:32 AM
    Power Poster

It's yours. If it doesn't work for you... sell it. The guild already made their money off the quilt with the raffle, so is it any skin off their nose if you don't keep it? Think of all the lovely fabrics you can buy with what you get for it...

If you think someone locally will be offended, just don't broadcast what you are doing with it, and save yourself the grief. People can be a real pain to live with...
    Old 01-06-2012, 10:29 AM

I agree with the majority that it's yours to do with as you please. The guild members who judge you negatively are probably already upset they didn't win the quilt, it falls into you can't please everyone catagory!

In the end do what you and your husband deem 'right' for you don't pay a wit of attention to remarks by any busy bodies. In these economic times and being retired that $600 (if that is what it will sell for) for you might make a real positive impact on finances for you and DH....lf that isn't an issue then donation might be YOUR choice. After all is said and done it's YOUR decision as it was won far and square.
    Old 01-06-2012, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by cheaha39
    I donated a quilt to a church, they raffled it off and made $425.00. The raffle winner offered to sell it back to me for the price of his ticket ($5.00). It was his quilt to do with as he pleased, I bought it back! I made a gift of the quilt to a friend, who loves it.
    Wow generous winner and you my dear a generous friend....Great post thank-you for sharing!
    Old 01-06-2012, 10:35 AM

Yes the quilt is beautiful, but a tripping hazard is never a good thing. Sell the quilt and don't feel a bit guilty about it. The quilt is yours, you won it fair and square to do with it as you please.
    Old 01-06-2012, 10:43 AM

I completely agree, you won it, you need to do what is best for you and your husband. I also agree that it is no one's business if you sell it or what you sell it for. Raffle quilts are to raise money. They are almost always well done, but once they become the property of the winner the guild's involvement ends. If it were me I would not bring it up for discussion, and if you are asked I would say, I was unable to use it the way it should be and because of its beauty and warmth I made sure it got a home with someone who cherishes it.
    Old 01-06-2012, 10:58 AM

It is very pretty,
    but it is yours, SELL IT IF YOU WANT TO.
    J J

Last edited by jbj137; 01-06-2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: misspelling
    Old 01-06-2012, 11:00 AM

You won it and you don't have to answer to ANYONE for what you do with it. If the people who made it are disappointed, that is THEIR problem. I am learning to set boundaries on what people can ask of me and what people can make me feel like, and we owe allegience only to ourselves. Everyone else is their own problem.

Think of someone who would love it and give it with love.
    Old 01-06-2012, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    I agree with the poster who said to donate it back to the guild. They can raise twice the money, and I'm sure there are others who would gladly pay another dollar or two for another chance to win that gorgeous quilt! I know I would! If you're uncomfortable donating it back to them, pick another organization.

p.s. Next time, if it's a quilt you know you don't want but you still want to support the guild, put someone else's name on the ticket.
    I agree. Since you don't have anything ( but a dollar or so maybe) invested in this quilt, it would be a really admirable thing to give it back to be raffled again, or donated to another organization to be raffled. While it IS yours, I'm guessing the raffle was so someone could have a quilt. If they wanted someone to make $600, they would have had a 50/50 raffle. Next time, if you don't want the quilt, just donate some money, and someone who really wants a quilt may get it. I don't buy wrapping paper or magazines I don't want, but I'm happy to give the elementary school a small donation anyway. Is it really worth whatever you can get for the quilt to have a falling out with your guild - even if you technically CAN do whatever you want? Just asking.

Last edited by quiltmom04; 01-06-2012 at 12:00 PM.
    Old 01-06-2012, 12:58 PM

I agree with with most of the folks on this board; the quilt is yours to do with what you wish. Probably not a good idea to tell your friend if you sold it, but don't forget it wasn't free--you actually bought the quilt.
    Old 01-06-2012, 01:05 PM

I agree Speedy. They will be happy to know that you were able to use the money for something good. Let's face it, not too many of them will be checking your bed on a regular basis. It is yours. You have no need for it. You will sell it to someone who will cherish it. What more could a quilt guild ask for. It will probably be more cherished by a non quilter that's willing to pay cash for it than you putting in in a box in a dark closet. Set it free to flourish! And do it with a grateful and guilt free heart. (If your guild members don't agree - find another guild.)