Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'd rather be sewing!!!! >
  • I'd rather be sewing!!!!

• I'd rather be sewing!!!!

Old 09-27-2013, 02:13 AM

Your room is so serene and so inviting, no wonder you don't want to leave it!

I, too, could have written your post, right down to the hours. I get up early to sew for about an hour before work and maybe get some time after 9 p.m., not usually tho because I'm just too tired, unless it's hand sewing or something without measurements.

Funny, I started sewing on the kitchen table at my parents home, then at mine, then bought a sewing cabinet and set up in the dining area, then while divorcing my husband moved me and the kids in to an apartment and set up in an over sized hallway, then bought my current house and set up my own space in the den - whooo, how wonderful to just have the iron board there and sewing machine there and bins and design wall in one place! Then, things went sour for dd and bf so they broke up and she discovered she was pregnant, so now she (26) and delightful gs (almost 3) and my 21 yo son are here in our home and gs now has the den as a bedroom so I'm back to sewing in the kitchen, lol. And you know, for all the moments I can't wait for time alone, I love having them here, and seem to find comfort sewing on the kitchen table. In my now cramped bedroom I have a small table that my mother sewed on, and that is my morning table, with that sewing machine set up and ready to go. So I could say I have two rooms to sew in!

p.s. I love your avatar!

Last edited by Butterfli19; 09-27-2013 at 02:16 AM. Reason: added the p.s.
    Old 09-27-2013, 02:17 AM

I'm right there with you sister! My kids moved out last weekend and I've had the carpets shampooed, all the nail/screw holes in the wall fixed and just picked up the paint for my own personal space last night. I can't wait to get in there! When you find the bumper sticker, get one for me too!
    Old 09-27-2013, 02:28 AM

I can see why you love your "lady-cave". It seems so serene. Great colors, great furniture...one thing though, it's too neat! My space usually looks like a tornado has just blown through. I share my space with our "library" (floor to ceiling bookshelves) and my husband's guitars and amps. My sewing machine (on an L-shaped table), a counter top sized ironing board on a TV table and usually at least one plastic (large) tote of fabric completes the disaster area! But it is mine (except when husband is playing his guitar) and I love to escape to it. Oh, BTW, this all fits into a room that is barely 8 feet x 10 feet!

Maybe someday I'll have a "studio" with a real cutting table, room for multiple machines...one can dream.
    Old 09-27-2013, 02:42 AM

Beautiful sewing room. I relate to your story so much. Till this day I sew on the kitchen table.
    Old 09-27-2013, 06:57 AM

In 2002, I had hip replacement surgery and was on medical leave for 8 weeks. When I returned to work, I told my boss that I knew that I would not be bored when I retired. I sewed and crafted almost every day, sewing with a neighbor (who also drove me to the fabric store), doing charity quilts for the ladies ministry at my church and helping with crafts projects for a ladies' luncheon and for my daughter's Girl Scout troop.

I usually wake up around 4:30 a.m. and don't have to start getting ready for work until 6:00 a.m., so spend that time checking emails and sewing. I still have 5 years to go before I retire, but am looking forward to the day when I can get up, start sewing and stop when I want to instead of when the clock says "get to work." My bucket list grows longer each day, but I will not be bored.
    Old 09-27-2013, 07:04 AM

When you are retired not enough time to do all you want either. Even if not time to sew I would sit in that beautiful room and relax,read or meditate just for a few minutes. This would energise me to do what I must to live.
    It looks so peaceful.
    Old 09-27-2013, 07:11 AM

I love your "Lady Cave"!! Mine is my dining room right now. I have a small space that my family calls "mom's crap room". Until I can clean it out and get it organized how I need it to be I'll continue to sew at the dining table.
    Old 09-27-2013, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO
    When you are retired not enough time to do all you want either.
    This is probably true because when I have a weeks vaca from work I wonder how I squeeze the job in, and sometimes still don't have extra time for sewing! Do it now, girls! Don't wait!
    Old 09-28-2013, 03:27 AM

Stitch124, what a lovely and peaceful lady cave you have there! Enjoy every bit of it, and, yes, retirement won't be boring when it is time for you to retire, smile.
    Old 09-28-2013, 04:07 AM

Your woman's cave is beautiful. I also have my own room but I only wish that it was as neat as yours.