Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'd rather be sewing!!!! >
  • I'd rather be sewing!!!!

• I'd rather be sewing!!!!

Old 09-28-2013, 06:40 AM
    Power Poster

Congratulations on having your own space for sewing and quilting. It is wonderful to have a place where you can create, then close the door, leave everything where you left it so it's there when you come back to it. I miss my sewing room so much as 3 years ago we had to move to a 2 bedroom apt. from a 3 bedroom home, where I had my sewing room in the basement until we moved it upstairs to my daughter's old room to have a smaller space to heat. Now I have a small space in my bedroom (I insisted on separate bedrooms when we moved as we are together 24/7 due to disability retirement) and every night I have to clean up so that I will be able to sleep in my bed. It's so easy to get disorganized that way and lose things, but at least I have a place to sew.
    Old 09-28-2013, 06:43 AM

Great sewing room.
    Old 09-28-2013, 06:46 AM

Oh there is something very wrong here. Your sewing room is absolutely gorgeous. When I'm working on a project my room looks like a tornado went through, then I clean it up and off I go again. Love the wall hanging, gorgeous!
    Old 09-28-2013, 09:05 AM

I loved this post. Your sewing room is great. I could not help but notice the sewing caddy under the window. I've been looking for one of those for years. I had an aunt who had one and I would "play" with it when we went to visit her.
    Does it have lids that open on both sides? She had tons of sewing stuff and scraps in it. I found out later in life that she never really sewed, but left it there for me the play with. I wish I knew what happened to it when she passed. I have wonderful memories about the sewing caddy. I'm glad to see one still in use.
    Old 09-28-2013, 09:22 AM

I totally empathize here. I too have my own sewing room and though I am blessed that my health is good (I have MS) and I have a job and a roof over my head I cannot complain. However I work 10 hr days in the sun here and after a while you just want to come home to sleep. My kids are grown and out of the house and its just my boyfriend and I and I try my best to sew in the weekend but there is always SOMETHING that needs to be done and its not sewing Our goal is to save the next two yrs collectively to buy a home maybe the one we rent right now. But I do miss sewing and even if I go into the room to iron fabric it brings a sense of relaxation for me in my "lady cave"
    Old 09-28-2013, 09:24 AM

Your room is lovely! So neat! I remember those years of not having a place to sew. I hated having to pack everything up every day. Consequently, I didn't sew nearly as much as I wanted. The others are right--even when you retire, you won't have enough time, but you will have more! Happy sewing!
    Old 09-28-2013, 11:00 AM

nice! nice! nice!!
    Old 09-28-2013, 11:43 AM

You have a great space to retreat to. Love the quilt you have hanging on the wall above your sewing machine.
    Old 09-28-2013, 01:34 PM

I love your room! I know what you meant about work interfering with quilting. I just put a note on another thread that I wish I could win the lottery to quit my job and quilt more. As for always having to pickup and put things away, I still have to do that because I use the kitchen table to sew on. I hope to have my own sewing space one, day. I'll still have to be mindful to put certain things away though as I have a cat and she keeps me company when I sew. I want her there with me so I just be careful with pins and thread. Plus, she has made it quite clear to me more than once that she finds a closed door an insult and something that must be rectified at once! But then cats are like that... I doe hope you enjoy your new room.
    Old 09-28-2013, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by dellareya
    I loved this post. Your sewing room is great. I could not help but notice the sewing caddy under the window. I've been looking for one of those for years. I had an aunt who had one and I would "play" with it when we went to visit her.
    Does it have lids that open on both sides? She had tons of sewing stuff and scraps in it. I found out later in life that she never really sewed, but left it there for me the play with. I wish I knew what happened to it when she passed. I have wonderful memories about the sewing caddy. I'm glad to see one still in use.
    I had to back and look for the sewing caddy. I have my grandmothers and I cherish it. It's painted black however, and I am thinking of getting it re-finished. I am glad you are using yours in your sewing room..