Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'd rather be sewing!!!! >
  • I'd rather be sewing!!!!

• I'd rather be sewing!!!!

Old 09-28-2013, 01:44 PM

There's only one thing that gets in the way now........work!!!!!

I feel the same way. The thing that keeps me working is knowing without my job I wouldn't be able to afford the things I want for sewing, so I plod on. Moderation I guess is the key. You have a beautiful work space.
    Old 09-28-2013, 03:07 PM

Cafe Press has bumper stickers that say "I'd rather be sewing", "I'd rather be quilting" and a lot of others. Some of them are really funny.
    Old 09-29-2013, 06:37 AM

What a pretty workspace! I can see why it gives you so much pleasure. I've found that I got a lot more accomplished when I was working. Since I've retired I become very unorganized with my time and can't seem to get much done. Don't know how to get that organization back!
    Old 09-30-2013, 07:12 AM

Nice hide-away. I've had a sewing room for a long time, but I've REALLY enjoyed it since retirement. I used it a lot when I worked, but I always felt pressured to finish things. Now if it isn't finished so quickly I feel much calmer about leaving it for another day when schedules don't cramp my style.
    Old 12-17-2013, 09:46 AM

Hi -- yes it has sides that open. I love it and am thinking about painting it, but not sure. I'd rather quilt. lol

Originally Posted by dellareya
    I loved this post. Your sewing room is great. I could not help but notice the sewing caddy under the window. I've been looking for one of those for years. I had an aunt who had one and I would "play" with it when we went to visit her.
    Does it have lids that open on both sides? She had tons of sewing stuff and scraps in it. I found out later in life that she never really sewed, but left it there for me the play with. I wish I knew what happened to it when she passed. I have wonderful memories about the sewing caddy. I'm glad to see one still in use.
    Old 12-17-2013, 11:45 AM

I feel sorry for people that do not have a hobby. I have a friend that just watches TV all day long - I'd go crazy.
    Old 12-17-2013, 02:36 PM

I'm disabled so I no longer work. Between Dr. visits, our daughter's school schedule, and being just plain tired there still never seems to be enough time for my hobbies. Our daughter and I have our sewing machines set up in the LR. My wife has started calling it my sweatshop.
    Rodney
    Old 12-17-2013, 02:53 PM
    Power Poster

You are not alone. I am very very blessed to have all that I need in the world, except time. Working a full time job leaves me so tired at the end of the day I find it hard to even get into the sewing room. But I make myself go to the sewing room and then things brighten up. Even a little sewing each day will eventually get a project done.

Your sewing room is a lovely place to spend time even just daydreaming and planning, it is all par of the whole quilting adventure.
    peace
    Old 12-17-2013, 02:59 PM

Your space or cave is just beautiful. How do you keep it so neat. Mine is not a total mess but not as neat as yours. I worked out of the home all my life also and I use to say " I wish I was home sewing" Now i can and love every minute. your time will come sooner than you think. Hang in there.
    Old 12-18-2013, 12:02 PM

About the clean sewing room....I just cleaned up to take the pics. It's usually a mess. Scraps and strings everywhere floor, pin cushions and bobbins at every turn. Various projects stacked in the corners, it's really wall-to-wall stuff. Not as neat now as it looks in these pics. Really!