Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Ideas for a baby quilt >
  • Ideas for a baby quilt

• Ideas for a baby quilt

Old 07-18-2024, 12:38 PM

Default Ideas for a baby quilt

I need to start a baby quilt for my sister's daughter. please send Ideas to this post I want something not to complicated but cool. thanks
    Old 07-18-2024, 01:44 PM

I made a baby quilt a couple of months ago for my sister's co-worker's baby shower. I had purchased a panel at an estate sale. I just sandwiched the panel, and did simple quilting on it.

At this point, they knew it was a boy and what they were going to name him. What I did to make it special is make a label that said,
    Welcome to the world
    (baby's name)
    May You Always be Blessed
    (my sister's name)
    bkay
    Old 07-18-2024, 01:53 PM

Put the name: Speedy Baby 2 quilt pattern in your search bar and you will find the free pattern. Fun to make with charm squares that are already cut out for you.

Go to Allpeoplequilt.com for more free baby quilt patterns. I love the new pattern: Stary Dust baby.
    Have fun
    Old 07-18-2024, 07:22 PM

I just made a baby quilt using the zipper quilt design from Missouri Star. I had only a month between learning that my grand niece was having a baby and the shower date, and this was absolutely the fastest, easiest design ever, with no seams needing to line up at all. I made the "zipper" parts entirely from scraps because I had a lot of juvenile fabric scraps and love to make I spy quilts for little ones. The baby has a four-yr-old brother who likes dinosaurs. So for the back I picked a fleece that had dinosaurs. I had a little trouble keeping my edges flat because the fleece was stretchy and I was rushed, but I got it done, and I know they were genuinely happy with their tummy time quilt because they used the one I made for the big brother when he was new.
    Attached Thumbnails pxl_20240710_010225930.jpg  
    Old 07-18-2024, 07:45 PM

I forgot to say that I accidentally cut one more row of the i-spy pieces, so my quilt is a couple of inches longer than the one in the MSQC video. The pattern is very forgiving. I had a couple of yards of the forest green Kona on hand, but if I'd been short, making the quilt a little smaller would have easily been just as doable. Everything was from my stash except the back, and you can use a jelly roll or leftover from several jelly rolls for the "zipper" parts. I cut the green fabric, but you could also use a jelly roll for the background, speeding it up even more. Another thing you could do is run the "zippers" across rather than up and down, and if you want a very quick, modern look, make only one "zipper" and run it diagonally across your background and maybe skip the outer border. You will have long bias edges in that case, which might be hard to handle. Prevention would be to run stay stitches on either side of where you are going to slash the background fabric beforehand. The quilting on this quilt was done on my embroidery machine and is an edge-to-edge dinosaur design from Etsy seller, MadebyYustin.

Old 07-18-2024, 08:16 PM

This is a fantastic quilt, Rose! I think it sounds like a great way to not only create a one-of-a-kind quilt, but a super way to use up scraps. Thanks for the idea.

Leslie
    Old 07-18-2024, 08:33 PM

I have bookmarked both of those, Copycat - Thanks! I never know when I'm going to need a quilt in a hurry these days, with the next generation of my extended family starting to have babies, and the old folks getting sick and needing some comfort.

Last edited by Rose_P; 07-18-2024 at 08:41 PM.
    Old 07-18-2024, 08:43 PM

Thanks for liking it, Leslie! I thoroughly enjoyed making that pattern.
    Old 07-19-2024, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bigbutte
    I need to start a baby quilt for my sister's daughter. please send Ideas to this post I want something not to complicated but cool. thanks
    I made a disappearing nine patch using a couple of charm packs with Disney characters on them for my niece's new baby. She's nuts about Disney and didn't want to know the sex of the baby until it was born.
    Attached Thumbnails disney-baby-quilt.jpg  
    Old 07-19-2024, 03:41 AM

I like the circle of nine pattern — you can put anything you want in those nine blocks.