Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Ideas for displaying small quilt at a craft fair space without wall >
  • Ideas for displaying small quilt at a craft fair space without wall

• Ideas for displaying small quilt at a craft fair space without wall

Old 02-17-2015, 09:10 AM

Used to do antique shows...friend who sold textiles used open folding chairs draped with linens to gain heights to her tables.
    She had a frame like a folding screen with chicken wire to hang smalls with hooks or clothespins. I would use that across the back to block neighbors booth.
    love the idea of a crib and dresser.
    Old 02-17-2015, 09:27 AM

-For future shows, ask for a wall area. They are frequently a bit more expensive but well worth it.
    -For this show, practice your set-up and take a photo of the final version. Print it out in colour (ideally) or black and white on an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper or photo paper. If you can't print it out at home there are stores that will do it for you for very little money. Make notes on the back like what item gets set up first and things that you notice you tend to forget when setting up. This cheat sheet is invaluable. You can also make notes on it throughout the day as to what adjustments need to be made for future shows, what seems to be selling at that venue, customer reactions to the display and your quilts, etc.
    -I agree that a small crib is a nice idea, plus a small dresser or table. Make sure there is room for potential customers to move.
    -Ask ahead of time if the show has volunteers. Frequently they have people that can help you unload your vehicle.

And good luck! Sell lots.
    Old 02-17-2015, 09:53 AM
    Power Poster

First I would get rid of the standard table set up. They tend to block people from getting up close and personal at a show ... and in doing so, I truly believe they block sales!
    I believe this too! I use to do craft shows before I started doing quilting and I never used one of those long tables. I had all kinds of racks, poles with hooks, DH made me a lattice background that stood on it's own. I had three so I could make my own walls around my space. I hung clothesline between two racks to hang items with clothespins or clips. My sales were always great even at sparse attendance shows. Presentation is the key to selling.
    Old 02-17-2015, 10:44 AM

Having been both juror and buyer at craft shows...displaying a layer of quilts ( or anything for that matter) in tiers makes a buyer concerned that they might dislodge others, along with their intended item to view, and this type of display makes for a hesitation and that usually means a non-sale. Placing things on rungs of a ladder makes sense to many but items needs to be one item per tier...preferably everything at eye level and you can immediately see this is something that is both contradictory and therefore impossible. You have a matter of a very few seconds to draw a potential buyer into you booth and accessibility, uncluttered and visually appealing is essential. As boring as it sounds a clothes rack similar to what you find in a department store...allows two customers to view different sides of the rack and yet see all the quilts at the same time rather than reaching over each other...or worse. Personal space is something to seriously consider. The other thing to concern yourself about is any "feet" that stabilize a display and whether or not someone could trip over something and either fall or take the display down. Perhaps you can build three lightweight racks that can display a quilt on the two side and rear...to draw them in and then have the more functional rack in a place where people can easily flow in and out. You will need a small table and chair as a place to "conduct business" with calculator etc and an ability to take "plastic" and all this tastefully placed so you can watch other potential buyers. Do not eat in your booth in any obvious way, never chew gum, have professional looking signage and great business cards, do not sit for any long period of time, look animated even if sales are not happening, tag things properly, mention anything that could be allergic and quite possibly more, but you get the idea...think this through. Should food be part of the craft show, having some handiwipes discreetly able to be offered might save you food stains. Above all keep your quilts juvenile...you are selling to families with a new child not a miniature adult. If this sounds at all harsh it is meant only to be a reality check...selling craft is tough work, and you have to be both clever, engaging and resilient. The other temptation is to bring a huge selection, but when you are selling something above $20 ( handmade quilts are never this inexpensive) and you have a TON of them ...it makes it look like what you are selling is easy to make, possibly even mass produced and then if your price is not really competitive... they are off to Wallyworld. The last thing is where you show your quilts. Make sure the show promoters do not allow things other than totally hand made and by the artist themselves, don't decide where you are selling based on a cheap booth fee and ask for references to check out previous years, sellers and sales. What you are embarking on can be a rewarding endeavor but craft shows can produce a lot of "casualties" ...so be prepared for a few bumps in the road!

P.S. There have been some well intentioned mentions of taking furniture along as a way to help display your quilts. Keep things uncluttered, make the quilts the focal point and the display more minimal. The more superfluous things you carry into your booth...the more you need to take home.

I hope this helps

Last edited by Basketman; 02-17-2015 at 11:03 AM.
    Old 02-17-2015, 04:47 PM

Ladies, you are all both generous and wise! Thanks everyone for sharing these great tips and ideas. Now I feel inspired... and confident!
    Old 02-17-2015, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK
    I've seen quilts hanging or stacked on a ladder before, but that might not be helpful with your space limitations.
    That was my first thought too...
    Old 02-17-2015, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    First I would get rid of the standard table set up. They tend to block people from getting up close and personal at a show ... and in doing so, I truly believe they block sales!
    IF baby is your theme, then I see you setting the stage with three pieces of furniture ... a crib, a small dresser and possibly a change table.

It will take a lot of organization and planning, but with some prep at home along with practice set ups, you can do it! The time restraints make it quite difficult ... you need to be organized and practiced the set up several times in advance. The quickest and best way to accomplish it will be to have extra bodies to help you, to make sure you can meet the time limits.

Is there a fast assemble baby crib? Or bring it assembled and just carry in, as such.
    I visualize, quilts folded and hanging over the edge. It would give people easy accessibility to touch and feel ... which I suspect would encourage sales, rather than a static display with the "no touch" feel!
    Extras can easily be inside the crib.
    Perhaps an extension could be created to mount on the long side of the crib, and give you height for more hanging space.

I also see a small dresser, that could be carried in, with the drawers filled. High enough, so you are not stooping all the time, and so that you can work off it, as your "Office". It would have whatever supplies you need (invoices, bags, tools for set up, etc). If you have smaller items for sale, extras could be stored in there.

The third might be a baby change table .... again to set and drape your items.

Have things bagged/labelled before you leave home, so that you know exactly where they go at set up time, without having to think, what is going to look better.

Bonne Chance!
    This sounds like a great set up to me! Lots of planning and practising involved but definitely an attractive set up.
    Old 02-17-2015, 08:36 PM

I sell table runners at craft shows---and the best thing I have found is a clothes drying rack from Amazon. It's made by Whitmore---and was a little over $20. I am very happy with it---and the best thing is that it collapses for easy travel.
    Old 02-18-2015, 12:30 AM

Hi, welcome to the world of selling your art. I found that I was able to display using a folding drying rack (the wooden kind). You can turn it sideways and have it to one side or even in the middle of your space. I placed smaller items on the top racks, then used the middle racks to hand two folded quilts on each side (for a total of 4 quilts on the drying rack). You can also fold your quilts the long ways and lay one out at each end of your table hanging over the front of your table (then I had a few folded up on top but at the back holding the hanging quilt down), with other items in the middle of your table.
    You will find that your display will be different at each show. But this helps keep things fresh for each show. I also picked up the good wooden pants hangers (at a thrift shop), because I'm able to have items hanging at a couple of shows I do (and as I finish making things I'm able to get them washed and folded and hang them up and out of the way, they stay clean and ready for the next show).
    Good luck and have fun.
    Old 02-18-2015, 03:24 AM

I have one of these. A photographer backdrop stand. I use it all of the time! This price is amazing!
    My only concern is if you are outside and the wind catches it. Perhaps rigging it like a tent would be helpful. (Use ropes to stake on the ground.)

http://www.amazon.com/H804B-Adjustab...apher+backdrop

Buy some curtain rod rings with clips for easily hanging quilts, etc on this rack. I never make hanging sleeves. I hang large quilts on my rack . I use it for quilt shows, vending, etc.

I have a metal clothes drying rack from Walmart. I love mine. It is a gray color.

sandy

Last edited by Sandygirl; 02-18-2015 at 03:29 AM.