Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • ideas for juried craft sale >
  • ideas for juried craft sale

• ideas for juried craft sale

Old 05-17-2012, 04:30 PM

"JURIED" IS NOT "JUDGED" We had a juried quilt exhibit, whereby the jury committee looked at all entries to ensure quality workmanship (except for children's submissions); this makes absolute sense, because we've seen not-well-made items at fundraisers and craft shows. If a single entrant entered several quilts and two or more were VERY similar in technique or design or whatever, the jury chose the better/best of the similar quilts and returned the others; this ensured a nice variety of quilt submissions in terms of style, technique, colors, finishing, etc. nor just from the single submitter but also for the exhibit. In the case of jrued CRAFTS, I am guessing the jury would do something similar: if someone submitted nothing but potholders, the jury would ensure/accept the widest possible variety and accept a certain number of identical potholders - again, not just from the single submitter but from all submitters. Also, the jury might not accept crafts made from licensed fabrics, especially those with logos of local universities, unless the person submitting was a licensed crafter of the university - the jury wants to do their best to interpret copyright infringement law and prevent it by returning those items that might come into question (although juries often don't apply the law correctly for many reasons). A jury is tasked with ensuring best quality workmanship and the widest variety of display/sale items; a judge selects and judges the best in categories for award purposes. I hope this helps clear things up.
    Old 05-19-2012, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Wunder-Mar
    "JURIED" IS NOT "JUDGED" We had a juried quilt exhibit, whereby the jury committee looked at all entries to ensure quality workmanship (except for children's submissions); this makes absolute sense, because we've seen not-well-made items at fundraisers and craft shows. If a single entrant entered several quilts and two or more were VERY similar in technique or design or whatever, the jury chose the better/best of the similar quilts and returned the others; this ensured a nice variety of quilt submissions in terms of style, technique, colors, finishing, etc. nor just from the single submitter but also for the exhibit. In the case of jrued CRAFTS, I am guessing the jury would do something similar: if someone submitted nothing but potholders, the jury would ensure/accept the widest possible variety and accept a certain number of identical potholders - again, not just from the single submitter but from all submitters. Also, the jury might not accept crafts made from licensed fabrics, especially those with logos of local universities, unless the person submitting was a licensed crafter of the university - the jury wants to do their best to interpret copyright infringement law and prevent it by returning those items that might come into question (although juries often don't apply the law correctly for many reasons). A jury is tasked with ensuring best quality workmanship and the widest variety of display/sale items; a judge selects and judges the best in categories for award purposes. I hope this helps clear things up.

So, if two people wanted the same quilt and the quilt maker had two, three or ever four made from the same pattern, the first buyer would be in luck and the others just out of luck?

Seems far too elitist for a fundraiser for most occasions.
    Old 05-19-2012, 11:56 AM

It has been many years since I sold at craft shows...I found that items under $20.00 sold best, but there was a market for items at that time up to about $40.00. Over that it had to be something really unique, or "art." I would think table runners and tote bags/purses would sell well. Wallets, holders for e-readers/iphones etc would probably sell well too. Pincushions are really popular now, so that is another possibility. I used to sell a lot of wool teddybears, not sure if anything like that is something people would still want. I also did a lot of "quilted signs" with words like kitchen or bath, or would do names by special order. Christmas items should sell well..especially ornaments maybe that you could keep at about $5 price range. Try to think something for everyone, not limiting yourself only to a small amount of items.
    Good luck...and and have FUN!