Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • If Someone Made a Quilt for You >
  • If Someone Made a Quilt for You

• If Someone Made a Quilt for You

Old 01-26-2014, 01:25 PM

*** I would love anything that is made Homemade & with Love.
    Old 01-26-2014, 05:22 PM

years ago when i was a teenager, my favorite aunt asked me about a quilt. she wrote down my favorite colors and stuff i liked. well, life got busy and i never thought about it again. Last month (i'm 45 now) on the sunday before Christmas, the hospice folks were there for my Mom. They said the time had come and she would be gone in a few hours to days. The next day, Monday, the UPS truck pulled in the yard. With a box for me. I hadn't ordered anything, it confused me. I opened it up to find a quilt. My aunt had made the quilt, mostly hand work, some machine. That touched me more than anything. I so needed to know someone else was thinking about me. I wrapped up in that quilt and it helped me get through the next few days. We lost Mama Christmas morning. The quilt is on my bed now and has gotten me through this past month. Its a Sunbonnet Sue, traditional. All colors with sashing in a salmon color. It is beautiful, in thought and deed.
    Old 01-26-2014, 05:23 PM

yes I would take a crazy quilt made with all the trimmings just to say that so an so made it for ME, maybe some day I'll make myself one every one I know, knows that I make my own quilts and would probly think that theirs would not meet my standards( and they would be right) so best if I make my own think I'll start thinking on that one tomorrow.
    Old 01-26-2014, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
    Probably any except something made from double knit. If I got one, even if the thought was right, it would go to my husband for moving furniture or working. I just don't want one.

A dream would be, as the OP, a needle turn applique with all kinds of wilderness motifs, or a Baltimore Album type with gorgeous flowers. Or an optical illusion one--or a Judy Niemeyer ? spelling with all that fantastic paper piecing.
    You know I'm not wild about double knit quilts either that being said we have two and my husband's grandfather made both of them and for that reason alone I will cherish them. Just saying never say never.
    Old 01-26-2014, 07:39 PM

When I found out I was going to be a grandmother for the first time, I had mixed feelings. I didn't feel this girl was right for my son, but a baby is such a blessing. My quilting sisters listened when I shared my feelings and they all got together without me knowing and presented me with a beautiful quilt. I cried! I know the work that goes into a quilt and the fact that they all gave of their time is just so special to me. I've now moved away from my quilting circle and will treasure that quilt always.
    Old 01-27-2014, 04:08 AM

I would be thrilled with anything someone made me. It would just make my day to know that someone cared enought about me, to take all that time and love to make me a quilt. That would just be so awesome.
    Old 01-27-2014, 04:57 AM

I was gifted with a queen sized quilt by a group of quilting friends when I had my hip replaced in 2005. So appreciated the love and thought (and prayers) that went into making it for me.

Anita
    Old 01-27-2014, 05:01 AM

my mom made a quilt top of appliqued pigs for me and my favorite sister quilted it this was almost thirty years ago and its so special to me because two people I love so much took the time to make and gift it to me
    Old 01-27-2014, 05:05 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

ditto! And everybody's Want list continues to grow while I have yet to make me anything besides a few needed potholders!
    Originally Posted by sew_Tracy
    Absolutely! Everything I make for me gets claimed, so really I don't have my very own quilt!
    Old 01-27-2014, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
    If you knew in advance that you were getting a quilt as a gift, what would make your eyes light up?

Since I am absolutely NO GOOD at needle turn applique, I would love to have something in this venue. I have seen many picture of quilts like this, and they always make me gasp. Maybe someday I will attempt it again, and see if I can get better at it.
    What would make my eyes light up would be that they made it special for me. To know what work went into making a quilt, this person must be quite special and for her to make it for you she must think you are quite special. I don't like to applique, and I know I would appreciate a quilt that was appliqued especially all the hand work that has gone into it. I like to make quilts for special people in my life and I like to make samplers and I use patterns that will relate to them. I would never ask a person to make a special quilt for them. I would leave that up to them as I don't usually ask a person what they want. I may ask for a special color they would like (I just did that this weekend for my niece. I am going to make her a quilt and she said her favorite colors are pink and orange). She'll get those as the main two colors. Then I am on my own. Hope that helps you. Edie