Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • If Someone Made a Quilt for You >
  • If Someone Made a Quilt for You

• If Someone Made a Quilt for You

Old 01-27-2014, 05:40 AM

My mother made us a scrappy yo-yo quilt many years ago that I treasure. I only put it on the bed if we are having company who would like to see the house. The dog gets on the bed during the day and I don't want her to pull apart some of the yo-yos. I remember all the hours she spent making the yo-yos and appreciate the love that went into it. I would love to get a Sunbonnet Sue quilt made in reproduction fabrics from the 40's. I had such a one back in the 50's but don't know what ever happened to it. I remember it getting pretty worn then. But I also remember fingering the fabric at night or when I was sick and drew comfort from that.
    Old 01-27-2014, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I'll take one of those, too!
    Put me on that list also! I am fascinated by them. After seeing several beautiful ones here on the board, I have started gathering fabric to make one for myself.
    Old 01-27-2014, 11:29 AM

If I had one request, it would be that it be in purples with maybe a touch of grey.
    Old 01-27-2014, 02:19 PM

I wouldn't care, I would just be thrilled that someone thought of me enough to make me a quilt..
    Old 01-27-2014, 07:57 PM

I would totaly be in shock if someone gave me something handmade. I am the only one in my family for generations that has made things to give as gifts. It seems I have made and gave for 60 years of my life. The others do not know what they are missing. What we make here on the QB and in the Quilt guild is very rewarding. They have missed out. I cannot even think what is must be like to have to buy everything you want to give as gifts. I would like to make enough Quilts or wall hangings or throws or something like this for each and every person in my family but i don't know if they would appreciate the items.
    Old 01-27-2014, 09:59 PM

Anythi ng since it would be made by a friend with. love and care! Have one i received on here, you make a quilt and swap, i treaure it!! :-)
    Old 01-27-2014, 10:40 PM

I'd want a quilt that made me feel at peace.

About 2 years ago I made a fishing quilt. When it was done, I felt so peaceful and relaxed when I looked at it that I wanted to keep it - and I don't fish! There was just something about the combinations of fabrics and the simplicity of the design (panel with 3 wide borders) that took me away from the real world when I looked at it.

It was given away as a charity quilt because, although I truly loved it, I thought that someone else might truly need that peaceful feeling more than I did. I've been secretly searching/hoping to find the fabrics I used in it since the moment I parted with it. Some day!
    Old 01-27-2014, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by mimiof4
    You know I'm not wild about double knit quilts either that being said we have two and my husband's grandfather made both of them and for that reason alone I will cherish them. Just saying never say never.
    That's not going to happen in my circumstances, so I won't worry about it.

Plus, I'm not overly sentimental about quilts. Esp. utility ones. I have no problem at all relegating them to the dogs (for birthing/sleep in) and then to the mechanic's work place or for working under the car, when they need to go there --IOW, when they start to get old and get holes. I have enough (meaning, "too much") stuff that I like, to keep stuff I don't like just because it was given to me.

I know, I know. I'm not very sentimental.

It's one of the rules, anyway..."Don't feel obligated to keep something just because someone gave it to you." (Isn't it?--I'm sure it is in some 'minimalist list of rules' somewhere!)

It's okay...others don't need to fill my house for me. (I do well enough by myself.)

I've made a couple that I would get upset if they were mishandled, but otherwise, I really am okay with using and using "up"/wearing out quilts that I make--and then letting them go--to "quilt heaven"--which eventually means the dumpster when they are no longer usable for anything else.

I've been given a few quilts through the years and I've appreciated and loved each one. (no double knits! ) They are probably what influenced me to attempt quilting for myself.

Last edited by justflyingin; 01-27-2014 at 11:29 PM.
    Old 01-27-2014, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv
    I'd want a quilt that made me feel at peace.

About 2 years ago I made a fishing quilt. When it was done, I felt so peaceful and relaxed when I looked at it that I wanted to keep it - and I don't fish! There was just something about the combinations of fabrics and the simplicity of the design (panel with 3 wide borders) that took me away from the real world when I looked at it.

It was given away as a charity quilt because, although I truly loved it, I thought that someone else might truly need that peaceful feeling more than I did. I've been secretly searching/hoping to find the fabrics I used in it since the moment I parted with it. Some day!
    I am sure that you received much pleasure through giving this, but I hope next time you make such a quilt, you keep it for yourself.

Most people don't have such a reaction to a quilt and if it really does make you feel that make, keep it. Then make a different one to give away.

We all need our own little "happy place" and if you got it by looking at a quilt you made, by all means, keep it. The person you gave it to (Unless you know him/her well and know that is how they felt when they looked at it) may not have that reaction to it.