Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • If you could have any iron which would it be?? >
  • If you could have any iron which would it be??

• If you could have any iron which would it be??

Old 02-17-2015, 08:17 PM

I love my Rowenta Pro Master, made in Germany. It is the best iron I have ever owned, but the most expensive too!!!
    Old 02-17-2015, 08:28 PM
    Power Poster

The Rowenta company was sold and now mass produced in China and the quality went out the door. Someone posted a few are still being made in Germany but their reputation is ruined.
    Old 02-17-2015, 09:05 PM

I have had several Rowentas, a Reliable, and Black and Deckers. I don't know if any of them is one I would buy again. I liked the Reliable, until the heating element went out. It cost a lot to send it to Canada, and it still didn't work right when I got it back. I don't understand why they all say to use tap water. My irons all get clogged up and won't steam. I sold one my mother-in-law had had that is supposedly still going strong. It was a Shark. I am in the same frame of mind to buy a new one, but am stumped as to what to buy.

Leslie
    Old 02-17-2015, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer
    I recently bought a dry iron like the old ones, from the Vermont Country Store. Love it, especially for applique!
    I have one of those,too. I use it for appliqué, but it doesn't have a very smooth surface and drags for regular ironing of fabric.

Leslie
    Old 02-17-2015, 09:20 PM

Coming up on year #6 or 7 (not sure which) with my Oliso- works as great as the day I bought it, love it!
    Old 02-18-2015, 03:30 AM

If I could have any iron, I would love to try an Oliso. Right now I have an 8 year old Rowenta that works great and a simple Black and Decker as a back up.
    Old 02-18-2015, 04:58 AM
    Power Poster

I bought another Rowenta iron just because it was on sale at Costco. I was worried about it being too heavy being bigger that my last one (that still works) but this one works like a charm getting my seams pressed flat.
    Old 02-18-2015, 07:07 AM

I have a Reliable now, if it goes, I'd get another. They do have gravity feed irons. Laurelstar also has steam generator.
    I don't need the ironing board, I have an old Pfaff ironing board made for the gravity feed iron sold in the 90s.
    It has a motorized fan.

I need to find a cover for the ironing board. Since it is made for a steam generator and an odd size, I don't want and possibly can't use the standard covers.
    Old 02-19-2015, 04:26 AM
    Power Poster

I have gone through several irons over the years. I just want a dry iron without holes in the sole plate. I have a better iron now at least more costly. I don't like it because it automatically shuts off. I like my iron to heat until I am done for the evening. Cheap irons at our Wal Mart do not exist.
    Old 02-19-2015, 04:33 AM

I don't much care - only that it lasts more than three years - I think the one that lasted me the longest was one I bought at a house sale for a quarter. I don't even know the name of it. I think I must have had about four or five since. So I have learned that an iron can be a bane to my existence - Gotta keep money handy for when that iron will give up the ghost and you have to get a new one. It doesn't matter if it is $12.99 (Walgreen's) or an Oliso or Rowenta. I just won't spend that kind of high price on an iron that will quit on me the same time the $12.99 will.

Edie