Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • If you could only make or own one quilt........ >
  • If you could only make or own one quilt........

• If you could only make or own one quilt........

Old 12-16-2010, 06:34 AM

I love all sorts of quilt patterns and fabrics so it would be hard to choose just one to make. If I could only own one quilt though, one of mine wouldn't even make the list - we have 3 quilts made by my husbands grandmother all pieced and quilted by hand. One is a butterfly design, and the other two are a Kansas City Star quilt pattern that the best I can figure is called "Tea Leaves". This seems to have been a favorite pattern of hers as she made at least 3 quilts with it that I know of, they all live with my DH and I, all have beautiful scalloped edges. If only one could stay I would choose the smallest as it was the baby quilt she made for my DH. Will try to take some pics and post. PS - Last year I actually located the template for this pattern and have plans to do a white and batik modern version of his DGM favorite!
    Old 12-16-2010, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bubblegum0077
    My first was a king I made and loved the colors. The top is finished and I wanted two shams to match. Nothing is finished as of yet, but funny as it is I don't even like the colors anymore. Wondering what to do with it, but I am not going to get it quilted for it to sit in the closet. So for now the money is in my pocket and the top is in a bag in the closet. I may even pull it apart to making something else. Not sure but it's looking like that's the destiny of this top.
    Just a thouht but maybe in the new freebie/pay it forward section we could start a thread of our own UFO's that we would be willing to part with and do a swap w/someone who has a UFO that we would like to complete. Would be a great way to get some of those projects that we tired of out of the closet and onto a bed!
    Old 12-16-2010, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by NinaK
    So if you restarted tomorrow, how many yards of each color would you buy?
    I bought four yards of each, but somehow, I am running short, but I am not telling about the one I worked on for almost a week and ended up throwing it out and will do that block again in another quilt. I don't know, yet, how to figure in waste. So, I told the woman at the quilt shop it was going to be for a 35 block quilt, so she figured out 4 yds of each and I just don't remember if I told her to add extra fabric like one yard for each color (for waste, just in case.) Then I changed my mind and decided for bigger, so I don't know. I just may keep it at 35 blocks and make about three borders or something. Not sure yet. All depends on how it looks on the living room floor - with the dog laying on it - before I even have it put together. Edie

I guess that's the fun of making a quilt - My Quilt - My Rules.
    Old 12-16-2010, 06:49 AM

That's hard to answer but I think it would be a Baltimore Album quilt. I know I'll never make one but it sure would be wonderful to own one.
    Old 12-16-2010, 06:49 AM

My choice would be a log cabin, scrappy and bed size. There are so many different ways to set the blocks together, you get several different looks from just one block.
    Old 12-16-2010, 06:55 AM

I would make a rag guilt for my summer bedspread and a valance to match for the window.

My current bedspread is a crocheted, double thread afghan my daughter made for me at Christmas time several years ago, I just added to it to make a spread with a bedskirt. Too warm for summer, but I love it.
    Old 12-16-2010, 07:10 AM

My quilt would be useable. Winter is upon us, so NC has light winters, but I still would like to bundle up. OH and by the way NC did get a frosting last night and this morinng, not like the mis western states.

colors would be bright and sunny, remove the blahs,
    being I am kinda a beginner, a wrap so I can sit and watch tv,
    or maybe a bed quilt for my bed. maybe I can make 2!
    Old 12-16-2010, 07:12 AM

Retta V Grama. I am still working my crocheted afgan, for the wrap for the couch, for my bed and just a wrap for my shoulders, y'know how us "yonguns" get a chill around our shoulders. hehehehehe
    Old 12-16-2010, 07:46 AM

Baltimore Album Hallowe'en or Christmas themed or the one that the quilt designer did with all the trick or treaters around the border.
    Old 12-16-2010, 08:10 AM

Baltimore in pinks and greens with cream background. Made one for our bed, it took me four years but I loved doing it and love looking at it. All done by hand, I call it my heirloom quilt. Somewhen i will post a picture of it.