Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • If you did not like it then - do you like it now? >
  • If you did not like it then - do you like it now?

• If you did not like it then - do you like it now?

Old 06-07-2015, 06:53 AM

I kind of have this situation going on right now. It's a whole lot of blocks, patterns and fabrics I got from a friend who got them from someone's estate so the kids wouldn't throw them out. I've never been "given" anything before so I'm somewhat inclined to try to do something with them. The thing is I don't know the lady who started this quilt. They are applique and large (like 18" blocks or something) and not my style or fabric choices. I do like applique from time to time but these? They came with a whole Rubbermaid tub of fq's and when I first got them (like 3 or 4 years ago) I thought hmmn, these are interesting so I pulled quite a few more fq's from my stash to add to them. The thing is, I could work on them and they would be fine. But with so many quilts in my head that I could be excited about I'm not sure I want to do these. I finished one block and almost finished one more that is hanging on my design wall with it's finishing parts pinned onto a corner. But the more I look at them the less enthused I get. Hmmn, what to do? I so get the quandary of this question!
    Old 06-07-2015, 07:04 AM
    Power Poster

I would just pass it on to someone else who would finish it. This is a hobby and is suppose to be enjoyable.
    Old 06-07-2015, 07:04 AM
    Power Poster

The last few years if I've been given something and really don't like it, I donate it. I just am not going to waste my time with it. I need space for other more important things. I have a couple quilts just in layout (not piecing) stage and the more I look at it the more I don't like it. I have about $30.00 invested in material. Going to give it another try for another pattern layout. Giving it one more week then it's gone.
    Old 06-07-2015, 07:53 AM

I must truly be an ADD quilter...sometimes, if I have hit the wall on a quilt, I let it age. When I take it out, I have options-finish it (even if I hate it, lots of times someone ELSE just LOOOOVEs it!), let it age some more, change direction, give it to someone who wants it, cut it up for scraps, and even occasionally (GASP!) thrown it away! I am not in the process of moving or even thinking about it, so I have the freedom to store stuff. If that M- word pops up, I will be changing my tune! I even slog thru sometimes to get it done and OUT of my life! I usually have at least 4-5 active or kind of active project going at once.
    Old 06-07-2015, 08:30 AM

Once upon a time, (When I first started this quilting adventure) I made a quilt that I absolutely hated. The main colors were too bright for me. Then one day I decided to paint the bedroom with the colors from that quilt. I even found fabric to make curtains. Now I love the whole room. It just really soothes my soul.
    Old 06-07-2015, 11:10 AM

I only have one experience with hating what I'm working on: the Monster Truck Quilt for our oldest grandson. All the parts are ready to put together ..... it must be finished this summer before Christmas before he completely grows out of the "monster truck stage": I've been "working" on this quilt for almost three years.

Believe me, if it wasn't for him, I'd have gotten rid of it. Meanwhile, I've finished PINKS & Fairies (flimsy at the moment) for his sister. And have all the fabrics to make quilts for his twin brothers.

Last year I also made JRR lap-quilts for all four of them in their favorite colours.

Not to mention multiple other projects all the while with the Monster staring at me from the Design Wall. Well, at least until we started remodeling that room into what will be my dedicated Quilt Room.
    Old 06-07-2015, 12:56 PM

Last year, when Craftsy had their mystery quilt each month, I made several quilts that I did not like while I was making them. Surprisingly, once they were quilted, I found that I really liked the quilts.
    Old 06-07-2015, 01:02 PM
    Power Poster

Generally I end up finishing my projects and I end up liking them.
    Old 06-07-2015, 02:11 PM

I had one I hated while working on it & the only reason it wasn't a burnt offering is that my granddaughter wanted it. She actually liked it. She's very possessive of it I understand. Now, I'm working on one with a black background and I really don't like it. I have to finish because DH bought the kit, but when it's done will probably get rid of it somehow. I just don't like the color black. I've tried to get over it, but it still gives me the creeps. Basically finish everything I start, but some I like a whole lot more than others!
    Old 06-07-2015, 03:53 PM

I used to finish everything. Now I take the partially finished whatever and all the rest it needs to finish it and take it to guild. We have a 'take it' table where folks can take whatever is there. If no one takes it...it goes back home. Never had I had to bring something home!