Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • If you have a certain amount of fabrics to use together... >
  • If you have a certain amount of fabrics to use together...

• If you have a certain amount of fabrics to use together...

Old 10-03-2010, 07:32 PM

how in the heck do you decide what pattern to use based on the amounts?? UGH. I have just added to my stash for years, without any idea of what to make. Now I have sets of fabric in the weirdest amounts and it's so hard to come up with a design or pattern that will make use of it efficiently. For example my dd picked out Moda's Eden for her twin quilt. I have 2 charm packs, 12 fat quarters and some solid yardage (I think 1.5 of one and 2 of the other color). Why did I buy this combo? I have no idea. I didn't have any idea of what to make when I did and still don't. Any ideas? I want something simple with larger blocks.

And if you like doing that, I'll make a list of all the other "coordinating" fabrics I have waiting in the wings. :mrgreen:
    Old 10-03-2010, 07:51 PM
    Power Poster

I have a heck of a time figuring out fabric requirements/patterns with mixed cuts like that for quilts too... It gives me a migraine :roll: LOL
    Old 10-03-2010, 07:59 PM

That's my problem, when just addign to my stash, I just buy, without thinking of a particular pattern. After havign to go through washing ALL my stash twice, I now have started buying only in 1 yd cuts or larger, and usually 2 yd cuts. I figure it will make it easier to pick out patterns as well. Then, I can use the extra for pillowcases, throw pillows, things like that! :)
    Old 10-03-2010, 08:02 PM

Gale!! I can totally relate to your dilemma!! It's hard to figure out the yardage for a pattern from existing stash. It always turns out that usually I don't have enough of one of the fabrics so I have to go and buy something that might match to fill in or to substitute or oneor two of my stash fabrics aren't the right 'tone/blend' to be used for the project.

LOL!! I definitely keep those fabric companies in business between what I have in my stash and my consistent buying!! It would be nice to have the right amount or the correct match up in my stash!
    Old 10-03-2010, 08:17 PM
    Power Poster

I am not sure about your fabric amounts but I absolutely love the Eden fabrics. I have a jelly roll, but haven't decided yet.
    Old 10-03-2010, 10:34 PM

thats what scrappies are for--takes the guilt away as they mostly look great
    Old 10-04-2010, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by jemma
    thats what scrappies are for--takes the guilt away as they mostly look great
    That's what i do with my odd pieces too!
    Old 10-04-2010, 02:08 AM

You could do a four patch (using the charms) alternating with squares fron the fat quarters. It would be really neat and fast. Then you could use the yardage for the boarders. Just use something that coordinates for the back.
    Old 10-04-2010, 06:38 AM

Before I retired and I had more money I bought lots of quilt kits. I realized that they were expensive, but I only had a small stash. Now I think that I probably made some wise choices because I have all of the fabrics to make many quilts. Of course it does take away from the fun of choosing the fabrics, but I only bought quilts that I absolutely loved. Now I'm happily finishing the quilts that have been waiting for me. I'm saving the scraps to make into "free" quilts at a later date.
    Old 10-04-2010, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
    You could do a four patch (using the charms) alternating with squares fron the fat quarters. It would be really neat and fast. Then you could use the yardage for the boarders. Just use something that coordinates for the back.
    ooh I like that. I just drafted one up in EQ real quick and used solid for some and patterned for some of the alternating blocks. Thanks!!