Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement >
  • if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement

• if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement

Old 11-22-2011, 10:37 AM

Won't be buying any of that material. There are other great materials to chose from. Thanks for the heads up.
    Old 11-22-2011, 10:46 AM

I agree with ptquilts, not only will I not buy fabric with that marked on the salvage, or fabric from that designer and manufacturer, but I will tell the store that I am not going to buy from any designer/manufacturer that does that. It is ridiculous to tell us we can't sell a quilt with fabric that we purchased legitimately from the store!!!
    Old 11-22-2011, 10:56 AM

We all have the power to walk away from products by not buying them. This will send a strong message. I currently don't sell my work but if I decided to I wouldn't want to have to worry about this. Thanks for the heads up!
    Old 11-22-2011, 12:22 PM
    Power Poster

Not for commercial use doesn't mean it is against the law to do so, unless the fabric is licensed and then it will have licensed info on the selvedge. It's just a rule and breaking a rule is not against the law. Most rules are written right next or under the copyright law. It looks like it is part of the law.
    Old 11-22-2011, 12:45 PM

What about fat qts. The shop cuts them from their bolt. I have never seen the selvage on mine. Then that means the shop owner needs to take care as well.
    Old 11-22-2011, 01:18 PM

So I don't forget and use it something I want to sell, I just won't buy any fabric that states "not for commercial use" easy fix for me. Thank you for the heads up

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    i was reading the newsletter from one of my favorite quilts shops this morning and came to this paragraph:

FYI: IF you are buying fabrics to make quilts and to sell them you need to start looking at the selvage and see if it says "Not for Commercial Use" This means that you cannot make a quilt and sell it without the permission of the fabric designer! There is a lot going on right now with pattern designers and people making quilts using fabrics with this on the selvage. Right now there are some designers that are being sued over this! It's all over the internet right now so just Beware!! It doesn't make sense to me and a lot of people but it's happening now. You'd think the designer would be happy seeing her fabrics in people's quilts but some aren't I guess! Watch your selvages before buying the fabrics if you're going to sell the quilt!

so, be careful- and check those salvages- it used to be we only had to be careful about using someone else's designs---now some of the fabrics are (off-limits too)--licensed fabrics always were off limits- but the rest were ok- not anymore- so,
    if you are making to sell- please be sure and request the permissions needed and keep your self safe from legal actions
    Old 11-22-2011, 01:20 PM

Ghostrider: this is what my #1DS told me--the lack of agreement is key. He's in a position to keep up with current events while I try to ignore them.
    [quote]These restrictions are not a part of copyright law at all. Contract law, trademark and licensing law? Maybe. Enforceable? Probably not, in my opinion, unless you actually signed an agreement at the time of purchase. If they start printing ‘Licensed fabric - Not for Commercial Use’, that’s when I’ll think about not buying it for use in stuff to sell. [quote]
    Old 11-22-2011, 03:16 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Originally Posted by Sewhappytoquilt
    Well, here's a quick fix - stop buying licensed fabrics. Do they want folks to use their fabrics or not?
    My thoughts exactly.....
    Old 11-22-2011, 03:48 PM

Ok here goes, how would you even be able to tell with precuts? Doesn't the seller have a responsibility here ( if the fabric has this limitation) to advise the purchaser? What about all those online quilt fabric stores? I havent seen any such warnings on their sites? How could this be enforceable?
    Old 11-22-2011, 03:58 PM

Well, I will not buy their fabrics. There are plenty of gorgeous batiks, prints and solids out there, PLUS I can dye my own AND design my own using Spoonflower!