Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • If you were "fabric needy" - what is the smallest size scrap that you could use? >
  • If you were "fabric needy" - what is the smallest size scrap that you could use?

• If you were "fabric needy" - what is the smallest size scrap that you could use?

Old 05-03-2010, 07:04 AM

I do paper piecing and so have used the tiniest scraps. They do need to be around an inch to be useful.
    Old 05-03-2010, 07:16 AM

After working at a fabric store for 6 years, I have a hugh supply of fabric. Most of my salary went for fabric. Instead of collecting stamps, I collected fabric. We moved and I gave boxes upon boxes to the local churches for quilting and what they didn't want sent to Good Will. I still have several pickups of fabric. I was lucky in that I would save the pieces below 1 1/2" and mail them to my sister in Hawaii. She did the small appliques and loved them. I didn't feel guilty about disposing of them. Now I throw them away because I have no one who wants them.
    Old 05-03-2010, 07:16 AM

At my Thursday quilt group I could be seen routing through the others trash cans, especially if someone is trimming the backing off a quilted quilt. Now most people just save their scraps for me. I've been gifted many large black trash bags full. I bring them home and immediately sort through the fabric. I like to store by color, batiks, novelty, and med & lge florals. I'm a FL snowbird, so when I return north in May I'm usually gifted by many friends.
    Old 05-03-2010, 07:17 AM

I save all but the tiniest slivers I cut off to square up fabric. I have a friend who takes those slivers if they are a little larger as she has a loom and makes rugs. I'm making a Boxy Stars quilt right now and have a whole stack of the tiny triangles that I cut off the corners. Am I crazy for thinking I can sew them together and make a narrow border for part of the final borders?
    Old 05-03-2010, 07:28 AM
    Power Poster

Great post. Myself 4" square. I recycle rest to friends or use as filling.
    Old 05-03-2010, 07:29 AM
    Banned

i could use anything big enough to cut a 5 in. square out of, i can't afford to buy so only sew with fabric given to me by angels on here
    Old 05-03-2010, 08:25 AM
    Banned

Funny you should ask. I just turned around and dug out a scrap I threw away last night. It is about 3" x 8". I don't do scrappy, and am NOT going to cut individual little pieces down to size, so if it isn't big enough to rotary cut, I've decided to get rid of it. I have bins of pieces I've been hauling around, and I know I'll never use them.
    Old 05-03-2010, 08:44 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by gaigai
    Funny you should ask. I just turned around and dug out a scrap I threw away last night. It is about 3" x 8". I don't do scrappy, and am NOT going to cut individual little pieces down to size, so if it isn't big enough to rotary cut, I've decided to get rid of it. I have bins of pieces I've been hauling around, and I know I'll never use them.
    please send my way
    Old 05-03-2010, 08:56 AM

Check with local animal shelters. Many use scraps for making animal beds.

Originally Posted by thequilteddove
    If anyone lives in the Burlington, VT area and want small scraps, I have a GIGANTIC bag of them! I will never use them, but can't bring myself to trash them.
    Old 05-03-2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by thequilteddove
    If anyone lives in the Burlington, VT area and want small scraps, I have a GIGANTIC bag of them! I will never use them, but can't bring myself to trash them.
    I can't just throw either, but I did come up with a solution that works for me. I make string quilts for charity with strips that are at least 1" wide - I try to sort into light medium and dark. Anything smaller or batting scraps, etc, gets put into a tall, narrow plastic hamper until it is full. Then I use the scraps to fill dog beds for the rescue dogs. When I go to a sew-in day, I take an empty dog bed and ask everyone to put their unwanted snippets in the bag. It is a win-win for everyone.

Where do I get the dog beds? I like to practice new designs for the long arn on CHEAP fabric - then I make pillowcase style beds measuring from 18x18 to 27x27. I must sew more than most because I generally make a good sided pillow each month. Of course others in the guild and my quilting daughter have taken to bringing me those little bits and pieces as well. (NOT LOOKING FOR MORE! lol)