• Main
  • Ikea fabric >
  • Ikea fabric

• Ikea fabric

Old 03-10-2012, 10:05 AM

Good, quality fabrics.
    I've shopped their fabrics before.
    Old 03-10-2012, 10:54 AM

I checked it out, and it seems ther is not much of a selection, but I would like to try it.
    Old 03-10-2012, 10:59 AM

I've never seen any IKEA fabric that would work in a quilt. All they carry is home decorator thickness here. Great for home stuff and bags. Not for quilting.
    Old 03-10-2012, 12:40 PM

I did not know that Ikea sold thread and fabric. I'll have to check that out.
    Old 03-10-2012, 04:13 PM
    Power Poster

I made a duvet cover and it worked great. It is heavier than normal quilting fabric...more like the home decor fabric at Joann's
    Old 03-10-2012, 04:41 PM
    Fabriclovr

Originally Posted by quilt1950
    I'll have to look again. Last time I checked out the fabric it was all too heavy for a quilt. Also, last time I was there, the cutting table was set up and the customer was expected to cut their own fabric. Is that still true?
    Thats what I found when I was there a few weeks ago. It was upholstery type fabric and heaver canvas weight fabric. Yes it was cheaper, but not made for quilting, or at least at the store here in phoenix there wasn't quilting fabric. Yes, you had to cut it yourself. As for thread, it was heaver upholstery thread.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:39 PM

I haven't been to one since the closest is about 2 hours away in traffic. The prints are supposed to be great and very low cost. The stock varies greatly from store to store, some of them don't carry 'fabric' though I have heard of bloggers that have used not just the fabric but duvets, sheet sets & curtains (shower & regular) for projects. I am not sure I'd use them for quilts, though...maybe more for simple household sewing projects. =) It's definitely worth checking out!
    Old 03-10-2012, 10:22 PM

I just checked out the Ikea site to look at the fabric, because of the width, 59", I would be more inclinded to believe this to be decorator weight fabric, I have used this type of fabric before, but not in quilting
    Old 03-11-2012, 02:35 AM
    Power Poster

gosh- i (think) i wish we had one of these (Ikea's) around here- i take it that is a chain name? what else do they sell? cutting tables & fabric/thread---are they a store like Joannes?
    guess it really doesn't matter- we don't have anything called that within 100 miles anyway- i don't know about down state...just curious - maybe when we are on vacation i will see one somewhere- would like to know if it's someplace to put on the (should visit) list---are they a member type store, like Costco/sams club? we don't have one of those either----but there is one about 80 miles from me- i don't go there- but i know what it is...
    Old 03-11-2012, 05:03 AM

ckcowl, Ikea is an international home products company featuring Scandinavian modern style furniture and accessories, lots of storage ideas, etc. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/# Not a member store, no. The closest store to you is probably Canton, MI? (I used a familiar zip in the store locator search) http://info.ikea-usa.com/StoreLocator/Results.aspx