Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm about to kill my machine! >
  • I'm about to kill my machine!

• I'm about to kill my machine!

Old 09-26-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Lindsey
    Use a large eye needle preferrably a denim needle. drive slow but go fast.. thats what I read.. Your machine should go faster then you push the fabric..
    not really---you strive to get speed & hand speed about the same. there are Schmetz quilting needle in a 90/14. they work nicely. thread plays such a big part in success of FMQ.
    know your threads & needles.
    Old 09-26-2011, 10:33 AM

Remember T-N-T, thread, needle, tension, are usually the problem. If you are using old thread it may be the problem. Even if is a new needle, you would be surprized on how many may have burrs that are not visible. They are mass produced! I use a top stitch titanium needle.
    Old 09-26-2011, 10:41 AM

I saw magnified images of thread, and Coats and Clark really has a lot of "slub". Try changing your thread.

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
    ok i'll try changing the needle I've done everything else suggested on here already... i've changed thread, rethreaded many times, changed bobbin, done feed dogs up and down to no avail. I wonder if it's the needle or thread. the thread is just coats and clark from walmart and i just bought it but who knows maybe it sat there forever. it could also be catching on that plastic thing they cut out. i hate those things. i have tried 2 different spools but maybe i'll wind to a bobbin and put that on top and see if that helps? I'll answer that list of ? and see if this helps any :)

1) How old is your thread?

I just bought it but may have been sitting at the store?

2) What is your thread weight and what kind is it (ie cotton or poly, and who is manufacturer). Ditto the first two questions for the bobbin thread.

It's poly coats and clark all purpose thread.

3) What size needle are you using?

a topstitch needle

4) When was the last time you replaced your needle (in aprox hours of machine usage)?

i replaced it b4 starting this quilting.

5) Have you COMPLETELY re-threaded your machine? Remember, don't ever pull the thread out backwards through the tension discs to un-thread when the presser foot is down!! Always lift the presser foot first - or even better - snip the thread from the spool then pull the thread out from the needle through the machine.

Yes many times

6) What kind of batting are you using?

Poly high loft

7) What kind of machine are you using (make and model)?

Brother CS-6000
    Old 09-26-2011, 11:02 AM

This may sound silly, but when rethreading your machine, try turning the spool of thread up-side-down. I had trouble with breakage, and found that the thread was catching on a rough spot on the bottom of the spool. Once I did this, I had no more breakage! Just another thing to try!
    Old 09-26-2011, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
    Does anyone know what causes the top thread to break when FMQ? It will be going fine for a few minutes and I'm making sure I go slow enough and everything will be going great then snap out of the blue it will snap. I don't know what to do i can't finish this quilt like this i just want to cry. My husband still won't tell me if i can get a new machine so i'm stuck with this one.

do you think it could be because I spray basted it? does this have anything to do with it?
    What do you mean, your husband won't tell you if you can get a new machine? Do you work outside your home? And even if you aren't getting a paycheck, isn't S. Carolina a community property state? If so, you've got as much right to use the money as he does! While you think this over, unthread the machine, change the needle, clean the bobbin case, drink a glass of iced tea, rethread the machine, put a new bobbin in the case and try again. froggyintexas
    Old 09-26-2011, 12:58 PM

I've had the same problem many times and it is almost always 'cured' by using a high quality 'quilting' needle and slowing down just a bit. (I do have a lead foot even on my sewing machine).
    Old 09-26-2011, 01:07 PM

i agree with the others, make sure you rethread and change your needle. Both methods have worked for me when i was ready to scream in frustration because the same thing was happening.
    Old 09-26-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas
    What do you mean, your husband won't tell you if you can get a new machine? Do you work outside your home? And even if you aren't getting a paycheck, isn't S. Carolina a community property state? If so, you've got as much right to use the money as he does!
    Yeah he's pretty good about getting me whatever I want but he wants to go through the finances and see if we could swing an extra $90 a month to get me a machine. Cross your fingers for me!
    Old 09-26-2011, 01:09 PM

OMG thank you so much everyone for all your replies! I finally got this thing quilted and the machine is working great! I put the thread on it's side in a cup behind the machine and used a jeans needle. It didn't break one time! I'm so excited and I know i couldn't have done it without all your help so thanks so much! I just love this board!
    Old 09-26-2011, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by ajohn52
    Originally Posted by Xstitshmom
    I doubt it is because you spray basted it. I just finished a a quilt with fmq that I spray basted and I didn't have any problem with thread breakage. I used King Tut for my thread this time and it worked like a dream.

I also just finished fmq a tree skirt with metallic thread and it broke constantly. I figured it was the the thread since the King Tut worked so beautifully.

Sorry no other advice from me.
    You need to use a metallic needle, then your thread will not break.
    I did use a metallic needle and it still broke. Next time I'll try oiling the spool like someone suggested.