Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm amazed at many of the quilts made and shown here >
  • I'm amazed at many of the quilts made and shown here

• I'm amazed at many of the quilts made and shown here

Old 07-23-2010, 05:24 PM

Hi I am not a perfectionist. I do the best I can, to the point of ripping out seam, when things don't look right.I started ou as a child, my mother help ed made doll Qts. Latter out of nessesty I made Baby Qt I found that I enjoyed it. worked on Qts off and on, Now I make Qts to relax, calms me, I just resently got my Walking Foot + Darning foot, been to busy learning machine Embroidery, Hand embroidery. Just doing thing that are fun. I so love Qting
    Old 07-23-2010, 05:26 PM

I actually started when I was a child (9-10). Our family made log cabin quilts our of material that my parents bought at the local community auction house (generally these were used clothing items). Then all of us would rip out the seams, use chalk to mark the material and then cut with razor blades and a straight edge. This included my mother, father, and six other children. We had several treadle sewing machines and would assemble them prior to be putting them on a wooden frame, and then tie the sandwich together. I also embroidery, tat, and crochet but it's quilting that keeps me sane when I need to relax.
    Old 07-23-2010, 06:55 PM
    Power Poster

I sewed for years and just wanted to try quilting for a change. DD wanted a memory quilt so I jumped in. I try to learn new things as I go but it is my relaxation therapy. So if I find something is beyond me I put it up and try it later. (That may explain my UFOs) :lol:
    Old 07-23-2010, 09:05 PM
    Power Poster

I have always sewn and done other hand crafts , recently(in the last 2 years ) when crocheting my hand and wrist really hurt so this is another way to make the blankets my famly expects from me and be pain free :wink: Well mostly :roll: Rotary cutter can cause a flare up.
    I would say I putter in it :lol: Little bit of this and little bit of that
    Old 07-24-2010, 01:02 AM

I started about 26 years ago. I saw an ad in local paper for a class and went. Quilting was almost unheard of in Australia back then. I had bought a couple of American magazines and was fascinated by the craft and the history behind it so the class came at the right time. It is now very popular in Australia and we have several magazines that are very good.
    Old 07-24-2010, 10:00 AM

I, too, have sewn and knitted since a young child and picked up crochet in my 30's. I always have had an interest in quilting and decided to jump in about 2 yrs. ago, I do enjoy paper piecing and am still trying to do FMQ, which I think is beyond my hand eye coordingation at this point in my life; but, I am still trying by pratice, practice, and more practice.
    Old 07-24-2010, 11:23 AM

I have always worked with my hands in a creative way. I was lucky enough to attend a public school that had a little money. I took art classes every day and every year starting in the 6th grade until I graduated from High School. I also took all the Home Ec classes that were offered. I did learn to sew, but my cooking skills never did develope! My strongest passion was crochet. I crocheted so much and for so many years that I totally burned out - it became boring - not challenging anymore.

So I went back to sewing - found the message board and now quilting is the only craft I do. At first I thought it was a race and that I had to make quilts for every person I know! I recently changed my attitude about that and have been doing more hand piecing and taking more time with the projects. I enjoy the process more and I have a new appreciation for the quilts that I make.
    Old 07-24-2010, 05:22 PM

Jackie, what a cute picture of you and your dog. You don't look old enough to have 3 girls outgrow anything but diapers!
    Old 07-25-2010, 05:03 PM
    Power Poster

I am sticking with smaller quilts, lap and wall sized as wrangling a quilt through a domestic machine was not my idea of a good time LOL

It also gives me the luxury of trying out techniques that are new to me on a smaller basis. If I don't like it? I don't have to work on it for very long :wink: :D:D:D