Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm Building a Quilting Frame...Have questions >
  • I'm Building a Quilting Frame...Have questions

• I'm Building a Quilting Frame...Have questions

Old 08-17-2011, 09:32 AM

I do a quilting demonstration every year for a local historical group. In pastyears I have quilted alone. This year I may have 6 quilters. So, I am making my own frame. It has to be light weight and portable. I have 2 very light metal( tin?) saw horses. The directions I have call for (2) 2x2's. They should be hardwood. Wherever I get them they will probably have to be ripped. Then I will have to sand them.... Here is my question... Why can't I use 2 closet poles? It makes sense to me because the quilt will be rolled on these. You can drill a hole in a round dowel as well as a flat piece of wood. The pole is already sanded. It is hardwood. Am I missing something?
    Old 08-17-2011, 09:36 AM

does it clamp to something? maybe the flat board would clamp better and not unroll as easily?
    Old 08-17-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
    does it clamp to something? maybe the flat board would clamp better and not unroll as easily?
    It calls for (4) screw eyes. They screw through the boards and into the sawhorses. I believe the screw eyes will also enable the frame to be hung from the ceiling as in the old days.
    Old 08-17-2011, 02:36 PM

Hmmm...seems to me it should work...dh is at work, or I would see what he thinks...usually if I see something I like, he can look at it, and build something that will work...I am just not that handy...
    K
    Old 08-17-2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Stacey
    I do a quilting demonstration every year for a local historical group. In pastyears I have quilted alone. This year I may have 6 quilters. So, I am making my own frame. It has to be light weight and portable. I have 2 very light metal( tin?) saw horses. The directions I have call for (2) 2x2's. They should be hardwood. Wherever I get them they will probably have to be ripped. Then I will have to sand them.... Here is my question... Why can't I use 2 closet poles? It makes sense to me because the quilt will be rolled on these. You can drill a hole in a round dowel as well as a flat piece of wood. The pole is already sanded. It is hardwood. Am I missing something?
    Flat board are easier to clamp and don't roll around. You can get finished 1/2 inch by 2 inch boards that'll work. Go to the lumber yard and have one of them take you back to look at the finished wood, not the stuff outside.