Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm Burned Out.... >
  • I'm Burned Out....

• I'm Burned Out....

Old 12-09-2010, 05:30 AM

I'm in a slump again, too. I worked v. hard on a large quilt for one of my teenage grandsons and all I have to do is sew on the binding! It's been sitting there for weeks.
    I want to wash the quilt before I give it to him. I did, of course, prewash all the fabric before putting it together, but I want to see just how it turns out...how if tightens up and all. Has anyone washed a quilt before giving it as a gift.?
    I have 5 more quilts for the rest of my grandchildren as a remembrance from me.
    I'd like to eventually join a worthwhile project like quilts for kids. I see that down the road.
    Can anyone advise about washing the quilt and giving me a boost to finish this master piece!! Thanks.
    Old 12-09-2010, 05:30 AM

Good Morning Retired2PA,

I went to the Dollar Store and bought some plain tea towells. I am decorating them with Christmas ideas. It takes scaps and just a few minutes.

Hope you like this idea.
    Old 12-09-2010, 05:32 AM

Yes and now I am in a real crunch. I should have already been in NC but I have put so many things off, not just sewing, for so long I have to get caught up before I can leave,
    Old 12-09-2010, 05:48 AM

I think there is a season for everything.

You've done a tremendous amount of work on quilting before your trip. Since you're very much an avid quilter it does feel strange not to be "doing" something right now but I think sometimes we're called into a "being" state for a while in order to recharge.

Look around and see if there's something else you've been meaning to do...write some cards to friends, sort through "stuff" at home and get a bit more organized, read a good book, try a new recipe, go for longer walks...you get the idea. I think the less you force the idea that you have to be quilting, the more likely you'll suddenly wake up and want to do it again and will have the clarity to know what it is you want to do.
    Old 12-09-2010, 06:02 AM

Who cares really? Take the holidays and don't even think about sewing until it calls you. If you wait for it to come back to you - you will be much more creative than if you force yourself to make something. In the meantime - enjoy the holidays and relax. I think you'll be glad you did.
    Old 12-09-2010, 06:07 AM

Sounds like it time to make something just for you! Make it something small, a table runner or wall hanging, but make it for you! It sounds like you do so much for others and in the end you're tired and not motivated any longer - so pick out some special pattern/fabric and do it for yourself! You deserve it.
    Old 12-09-2010, 06:10 AM

Comments from members here have 'PUSHED' me many times. It is good to spill it out and find others in your same boat. Merry Christmas and a Happy 'Quilting' New Year.
    Old 12-09-2010, 06:46 AM
    j

This happens to me when I leave family from a vacation. It takes around two months to get back in the groove. And this is holiday time. so that makes it worse. Then when I stop and think about the hustle bustle that goes on in their houses, although I miss them, I am glad I have the peace and quiet again. - J.
    Old 12-09-2010, 06:47 AM
    j

How do you make bedsocks????-- J
    Old 12-09-2010, 06:48 AM

I heard a friend say, she does no quilting in Dec. There seems to be enough other things going on and her life is less strssful that way. Just knowing you have a month off and then when Jan. comes, you'll be more than willing to jump right back in it. I've sort of done that too. I made gifts in Oct./Nov.