Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm Burned Out.... >
  • I'm Burned Out....

• I'm Burned Out....

Old 12-10-2010, 03:52 AM

I say relax and enjoy the peace of the season. If you really want to be working on a project but don't have any ideas or motivation for getting started on a new one, pull out a UFO and work on it. I know when I work on a UFO, I begin to have all of these ideas float around in my head and I just can't wait to finish whan I've started. Sometimes I don't finish it,but it is closer to finishing than it was before I pulled it out. Buy a new magazine or go to the library and browse the magazines there.
    Old 12-10-2010, 10:34 AM

I agree with Gina_D, sometimes we just need to breathe. I have been in a funk for awhile too, and slowly I am starting to embroider and sew again so you will get the mood soon enough. Don't fret, sometimes you just need to rest from tension of life.
    Old 12-10-2010, 11:02 AM

I know exactly how you feel. Ever since I had my heart surgery I haven't been able to "get into the swing of things". I keep trying. I keep reading this Board hoping to get the inspiration I need to get going. I'm hoping one day soon it will just hit me and I will be off and running again. I have made some progress tho. As in getting my sewing room cleaned and organized. It's a start anyway. I'm taking baby steps.
    Old 12-10-2010, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by retired2pa
    I have to confess that I'm burned out right now. Here's what happened....

My DH and I planned a trip to CA to see our kids. We started making plans in June for our trip in Nov. I knew I wanted to make some quilts and wall hangings for our kids' homes so I got started in August and by the middle of Oct. I had 7 projects done and ready to send so they would be there when we arrived on Nov. 3.

We were gone a little over 2 weeks (and had a wonderful time, BTW) and I keep thinking about some quilting projects I wanted to get started on when we got back. Well, we've been back since Nov. 18th and I've yet to cut a single piece of fabric :(

I can't seen to get my thoughts together as to what project I want to get started on. I've looked at patterns that I have, online, and on here and I was hoping something would ignite the spark I need to get me going again. So far, I've seen some great projects, but I just can't seem to get started :(

Has this ever happened to you??? What did you do (if anything) to get yourself out of it?
    Go read a good book. Just because you don't want to look at another piece of turkey doesn't mean you won't. Wait till next year.
    Old 12-10-2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by retired2pa
    I have to confess that I'm burned out right now. Here's what happened....

My DH and I planned a trip to CA to see our kids. We started making plans in June for our trip in Nov. I knew I wanted to make some quilts and wall hangings for our kids' homes so I got started in August and by the middle of Oct. I had 7 projects done and ready to send so they would be there when we arrived on Nov. 3.

We were gone a little over 2 weeks (and had a wonderful time, BTW) and I keep thinking about some quilting projects I wanted to get started on when we got back. Well, we've been back since Nov. 18th and I've yet to cut a single piece of fabric :(

I can't seen to get my thoughts together as to what project I want to get started on. I've looked at patterns that I have, online, and on here and I was hoping something would ignite the spark I need to get me going again. So far, I've seen some great projects, but I just can't seem to get started :(

Has this ever happened to you??? What did you do (if anything) to get yourself out of it?
    Glad you had a good time with the kids. Maybe you're a little depressed after so much fun....a little let down? I've had times when weeks go by and I don't touch the machine. It's alittle scary but you have to admit we go at this a little hard. My husband said if he played golf like I quilt, he'd be dead!! So, just relax and pick a small little 12 x 12 something and start. It'll come back.
    Old 12-10-2010, 08:41 PM

Is that "Quilter's Block"? :lol:
    Old 12-11-2010, 06:19 AM

I agree...and I do this. When I am overwhelmed with "I need to get started on this or that project" I organize my sewing room. I am fortunate enough to have an entire shop in a separate building for sewing and I'll go out and not even see a quilt but will "clean up" after the last quilt. Invariably, while I am emptying a clear plastic tote and refolding fabric I will see a length of fabric I had completely forgotten about. I lay it out and by the time I've cleaned up and revamped the room I have the makings for another project and am ready to go. This may take a day, a week, or more, but I'm not beating myself up for not quilting and I'm energized again. Good luck. Also, I agree with taking a break. It's Christmas.
    Old 12-11-2010, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
    Yes and I asked the board for that little push. I need to make a quilt for my grandmother and last night I just started it. Start small find the smalles quickest project so you get that satisfaction of a completed project.
    For something small, check out Moonrise's tutorial for double layer potholders. They inspired me so much I've made seven of them. :P
    Old 12-11-2010, 06:28 PM

Thank you for your truth i was burned out for months finally got down to have to make 2 baby quilts and they brought me back now i have a quilt for grandaughter to quilt i did get it basted together so i'm better i hope you are tooo
    Old 12-11-2010, 09:08 PM

I make my quilts during the year and sell most of them ,except the special orders,during November and December. The month of December I give myself a vacation. Then I start at January making quilts to sell the next year.By November I am ready for my vacation.