Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm disappointed - anyone else? >
  • I'm disappointed - anyone else?

• I'm disappointed - anyone else?

Old 09-07-2014, 05:17 PM

They should send an email to all their subscribers when they find errors.....
    I agree....the emails would be easily sent to the subscriber list
    Old 09-07-2014, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Valerie Ann
    Thanks so much for the update. How did you know to look for this?

I went searching on their forum after I got caught out with too little fabric for a project. A member there has put a link to their corrections and updates it with the new editions.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/how...ion-links.html
    Old 09-08-2014, 03:43 AM

I have not made any of the quilts in her books but the 3 books I received where so basic and on the website for free I figured I spent enough on magazines so opted out. I hope there is a correction page on the MSQC website and if you don't email them and tell them of the issues they won't be able to fix them. She's usually very good about her directions. Good Luck I hope things go better.
    Old 09-08-2014, 04:20 AM

It's frustrating when a pattern doesn't work. I have seen quite a few publications have errors in their patterns. I've also seen editors publish corrections. Since many of the Jenny Doan quilts are tutorials I feel pretty certain they are testing the patterns. Another source of errors can be in the printing of the pattern. Things can happen when many hands touch a product. I'm absolutely certain that MSQ family doesn't intentionally put errors in their publication to challenge us. :-) I agree that you should contact MSQ about the problem you had. As for your next quilts make sample blocks before you commit. That has saved me some frustration with a new pattern. Good luck !
    Old 09-08-2014, 04:29 AM
    Power Poster

I have found errors in sizes in several quilt book patterns. I try to read over the sizes and directions several times before I start cutting. If it doesn't look right I either try to figure it out or just pick another pattern. It is aggravating. Seems there isn't as much proof reading these days. Good luck and I hope you can figure it out.
    Old 09-08-2014, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
    I am a little disappointed that there are so many corrections. I would think that these quilts would be tested to death before they would be put in the magazine. I am holding off on subscribing to see how it goes for awhile longer.
    I agree testing the pattern directions, etc. first before publishing would help. It is far easier to catch other people's mistakes than it is to catch our own! This is a brand new magazine venture for MSQC and it will improve. I still enjoy receiving my BLOCK issues and have already printed out the corrections for the first three issues and inserted them into the appropriate issues.
    Old 09-08-2014, 04:41 AM

I got the latest issue of Block and I think most of the fabrics are so ugly that they are using on the quilts. I think the publication itself is very nice and a great price but the fabrics all seem so bland to me.
    Old 09-08-2014, 05:01 AM

Sometimes there are mistakes in the print and they have corrections on the website. I always check there first before I do any of their patterns.
    Old 09-08-2014, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
    I am a little disappointed that there are so many corrections. I would think that these quilts would be tested to death before they would be put in the magazine. I am holding off on subscribing to see how it goes for awhile longer.
    This is where I am at, too. I am glad they're making corrections but it seems like now I need to either print out all the corrections and keep it with each 'zine, or go through each 'zine and edit them myself. That's not what I want from a magazine/pattern book.
    Old 09-08-2014, 05:39 AM

Default jenny doans magazine

Love her magazine, I haven't tried any of her patterns, just to look at the pictures and read her little stories...luv, luv it, and all for a 1$...can't even buy a coke for that. I am so hoping she continues it. If she does I plan on getting subscriptions for a few friends.

Maeleen