• Main
  • I'm discouraged :( >
  • I'm discouraged :(

• I'm discouraged :(

Old 05-23-2011, 01:01 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Sorry you are having such a hard time. I took an 8-week course for FMQ and we used the book "Machine Quilting Made Easy" by Maureen Noble. She has lots of exercises in the book and they certainly help you figure out your machine. All I can say is give it a try and use 12-15" pieces for practice. That way you can focus on the technique NOT the quilt.

I started using a vinyl sheet on the machine to help cut down static build-up. It is worth the expense to me.

Good luck.
    Just wanted to echo Mad's recommendation of this book. Buy it, read it from cover to cover and practice the exercises in it. I did and now my FMQ (on my Janome) is good. I do have the blue dot case but can FMQ with the supplied one, ditto the needle plate. A sew slip mat helps too. The needle size depends on the thread you're using as does the tension setting required. Experiment with different threads and settings on practice sandwiches and make notes of what works best. I spent hours doing this when learning to FMQ, then PRACTICED!!! There's no magic involved or even (I believe) innate skill - just got to work at it. Get that book, it's well worth the investment. I still refer to it now - lots of advice about needles and threads too.

:-D
    Old 05-23-2011, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by misspix
    Some of the problems you mention are talked about at different thread manufacturers websites and a lot of them recommend the use of a topstitch needle for FMQ. I have had a lot of the same problems myself and haven't tried the topstitch needle yet. I have also learned that there are different needles that should be used for different threads. You might want to check on that... it might not be you or your machine but the needle and/or thread. Good Luck.
    I tried using a 14 top stitch needle as recommended for King Tut thread but had persistent thread breaks. Changed to a 14 quilt needle and the problem disappeared!
    Old 05-23-2011, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by vivientan
    Originally Posted by diane9617
    You mention that your thread gets all bunched up when FMQ. Do you pull your bobbin thread up to the top before you start FMQ? Someone mentioned the 4 videos on youtube. I think those are very helpful. One of them shows pulling the bobbin thread up. Keep practicing! I recently took a FMQ class and the instructor had us practice on preprinted pillow panels and large print fabrics.
    Yup, always made sure my bobbin thread is pulled up before the FMQ. I've tried almost everything I could in my capacity. Guess would really give the blue bobbin case a try....just called the service centre and the lady said she would deliver it to a dealer nearby for me to pick up. I asked about the straight stitch needleplate with a single hole too but she said it's out of stock locally.

Has anybody tried the blue tip needles with FMQ and does it help?

I'm using wt 30 thread as I find it thicker, hence may be more sturdy for MQ. I note that some people have suggested that I try wt 50. Is it strong enough for MQ to feed through the quilt sandwich and withstand multiple washes?
    Why not try a 40 weight such as King Tut or Madeira?
    Old 05-23-2011, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Somerset Val
    Why not try a 40 weight such as King Tut or Madeira?
    Thanks for the suggestion. The problem is, there are limited things available here in Singapore. Probably only Gutermann, DMC & Coats threads are available. I'll need to ship from US for all the other brands.
    Old 05-23-2011, 02:29 AM

I've been trying out FMQ for the past year but I don't seem to be improving. First thing first, I never get the thread tension right. I either get loops at the front or the back. I'm using a Janome 6260 and I've tried every single tension from 0 - 9 but nothing works. Even tried varying the machine speed, foot pedal tension etc but still at a dead end.

I find it rather hard to move my quilt sandwich under the machine. Sometimes it gets stucked, causing a huge ball of thread forming underneath! What has gone wrong?

The worst is, I can never get even stitches. They are either too short or too long. Can't seem to be able to move my quilt at an even speed. Even tried drawing out my design from a quilt stencil but somehow, I just can't follow the design! Jagged curves, uneven lines etc.

I don't think I can ever succeed with FMQ, despite trying on lots and lots of practice sandwiches. Maybe I should really just call it a day and stick to my walking foot. :(

Sorry for all these ranting...I need to let off steam!
    I DO NOT drop the feed dogs but move the quilts at a steady pace and it works great for me. I also had to re thread and put in a new needle and set the tension a little higher 4 and it also works great. Try it out on a sandwich and see if that works for you. BUT take your time and not rush that is where problems can occur.
    Old 05-23-2011, 03:57 AM

I've been trying out FMQ for the past year but I don't seem to be improving. First thing first, I never get the thread tension right. I either get loops at the front or the back. I'm using a Janome 6260 and I've tried every single tension from 0 - 9 but nothing works. Even tried varying the machine speed, foot pedal tension etc but still at a dead end.

I find it rather hard to move my quilt sandwich under the machine. Sometimes it gets stucked, causing a huge ball of thread forming underneath! What has gone wrong?

The worst is, I can never get even stitches. They are either too short or too long. Can't seem to be able to move my quilt at an even speed. Even tried drawing out my design from a quilt stencil but somehow, I just can't follow the design! Jagged curves, uneven lines etc.

I don't think I can ever succeed with FMQ, despite trying on lots and lots of practice sandwiches. Maybe I should really just call it a day and stick to my walking foot. :(

Sorry for all these ranting...I need to let off steam!
    I have already posted once on this thread but now have found the best series of videos I've ever found. They are on YouTube and are by Patsy Thompson. She has a 4 part tutorial on FM that begins with how to set up the home machine. This is the URL for the first one and you can click on 2,3,and 4 as you want to. I am subscribed to her channel as she teaches other techniques also. Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39I5A...yer_detailpage
    Old 05-23-2011, 04:34 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ruthrec

I have already posted once on this thread but now have found the best series of videos I've ever found. They are on YouTube and are by Patsy Thompson. She has a 4 part tutorial on FM that begins with how to set up the home machine. This is the URL for the first one and you can click on 2,3,and 4 as you want to. I am subscribed to her channel as she teaches other techniques also. Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39I5A...yer_detailpage
    This is brilliant and should be a 'must view' for everyone embarking on FMQ. Also note that she starts off by saying that it requires a lot of PRACTICE! :-D
    Old 05-23-2011, 07:18 AM

Okay this might seem like a dumb question but are you sure you feed dogs are down, and that your using a stipple foot? With my Janomw 10000 I use the embroidery foot rather than the stipple foot and have better results.
    Old 05-23-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by My time
    Okay this might seem like a dumb question but are you sure you feed dogs are down, and that your using a stipple foot? With my Janomw 10000 I use the embroidery foot rather than the stipple foot and have better results.
    Yup feed dogs down all the time with a darning foot when I do FMQ.

My tension seems to have improved after all the trial and errors I've been doing the past two days. Looks like putting my Janome on tension 2 and foot pressure 2 give the best results, though quite inconsistent. I still see some tiny loops in some areas. I notice that I get loops at the top most often when making curves. Has this something to do with me moving the quilt too fast when making curves?

One other question : Does the type of batting affect tension too? Is there a difference between cotton and polyester batts?
    Old 05-23-2011, 10:18 AM

I strongly suggest taking a good class. No matter the cost, it will be worth it saving you the aggravation and paying to have them done....don't give up! :)