Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm discouraged :( >
  • I'm discouraged :(

• I'm discouraged :(

Old 05-23-2011, 11:11 AM

Yes, if you swoop too fast you'll get eyelashes or loops on the back. I never used poly batting so can't help you there. But keep practicing. I took a class from Patsy Thompson on feathers and I have to admit my feathers are looking pretty darn good!! And I bet I've used about 40 little practice sandwiches - get muslin on sale at Joann's and use leftover batting pieces. Practice does make perfect :) Marlene
    Old 05-23-2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by vivientan
    I've been trying out FMQ for the past year but I don't seem to be improving. First thing first, I never get the thread tension right. I either get loops at the front or the back. I'm using a Janome 6260 and I've tried every single tension from 0 - 9 but nothing works. Even tried varying the machine speed, foot pedal tension etc but still at a dead end.

I find it rather hard to move my quilt sandwich under the machine. Sometimes it gets stucked, causing a huge ball of thread forming underneath! What has gone wrong?

The worst is, I can never get even stitches. They are either too short or too long. Can't seem to be able to move my quilt at an even speed. Even tried drawing out my design from a quilt stencil but somehow, I just can't follow the design! Jagged curves, uneven lines etc.

I don't think I can ever succeed with FMQ, despite trying on lots and lots of practice sandwiches. Maybe I should really just call it a day and stick to my walking foot. :(

Sorry for all these ranting...I need to let off steam!
    If it works better with your walking foot, use that. Some machines just are designed to have a walking foot that can be used for quilting.
    Old 05-23-2011, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by muskratwine
    Yes, if you swoop too fast you'll get eyelashes or loops on the back. I never used poly batting so can't help you there. But keep practicing. I took a class from Patsy Thompson on feathers and I have to admit my feathers are looking pretty darn good!! And I bet I've used about 40 little practice sandwiches - get muslin on sale at Joann's and use leftover batting pieces. Practice does make perfect :) Marlene
    I could see different kinds of muslin sold at Joann's. Which kind should I be getting? If I'm quilting on 100% cotton for the real quilt, will the tension differ much from muslin? Just wondering should I be practicing on the exact 100% fabrics I'm working on. I'm practicing on scraps and some leftover fabrics which I feel is such a waste.
    Old 05-24-2011, 01:36 AM

Practice on scraps. It may seem a waste but it's very important. When you are ready to stitch on a quilt, you need to make up a small sandwich and check your tension on that before proceeding to the quilt. This will save a lot of heartache - and unpicking! (I mean a sandwich of the same fabrics and batting as the quilt.)
    Old 05-24-2011, 06:45 AM

I got the 36" wide muslin at Joann's and used cotton batting scraps. Unless you practice on the same sandwich as your quilt, ypu'll still probably have to adjust tension but no big deal. You should be able to do all your tension adjustment with the top knob and won't have to mess with the bobbin tension which can bring on another set of problems. Just make sure the bobbin tension isn't too tight or too loose. I was told to tape 4 quarters and 2 dimes to the thread coming out of the bobbin and they should slowly drop down as you hold the bobbin case.If you don' have a bobbin case, I have no idea how to adjust it. But don't give up - it's so much fun and satisfying to be able to say "I did it all!" Good luck. Marlene
    Old 05-24-2011, 06:55 AM

I just purchased the kit from Leah Day's website which consisted of the Supreme Slider, Bobbin Washes and Machingers Quilting Gloves. Also ordered the blue bobbin case from my dealer. Hopefully all these will help. If all these fail, perhaps it's time for me to change a new machine!
    Old 05-24-2011, 07:25 AM
    RDM

Don't give up. I feel your pain. Change needles frequently, try a wall size to learn on, practice a lot b4 you start on your quilt. My machine's on a huge table that helps carry weight of quilt, I have a small table butted up to my left for quilt weight. Watch how you guide quilt through machine, if you push-pull against machine speed it can do what you describe. If you can sign up for a FMQ class I recommend it. Teaching videos might help with visuals. Keep practising to get a rhythm.
    Old 05-24-2011, 07:31 AM

Are you remembering to drop the feed dogs?
    Old 05-24-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by DebbieJJ
    Are you remembering to drop the feed dogs?
    Yes the feed dogs are down all the time. I could see some improvement these two days, after following the advice from some quilters here. You people are so awesome! I really don't know how I could proceed if I didn't get all the great advice here.

Can I check what is a good stitch length for FMQ? I'm having irregular short and long stitches during this learning process and not sure which will look good on my quilt.
    Old 05-24-2011, 07:49 AM

[quote=vivientan
    Can I check what is a good stitch length for FMQ? I'm having irregular short and long stitches during this learning process and not sure which will look good on my quilt.[/quote]

I don't know about that, I'm still a beginner, myself. But somebody with more experience will know. What I love about this board, is everyone's willingness to share their knowledge. And I learn something every day!