Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm discouraged :( >
  • I'm discouraged :(

• I'm discouraged :(

Old 05-24-2011, 09:21 AM

Uneven stitches is from not moving the fabric evenly - that'll come with practice. As far as stitch length - I think that's up to you - what do you like? As long as they're consistent and not 1/4" long I'd be happy!! You just have to find your comfort zone and stick with it. Believe me, you'll get there. Just takes a lot of practice. Make your sandwiches a size for placemats or dog or cat beds. Then you can see your progress months from now :) It's the same way you get to Carnegie Hall - practice, practice, practice :D Good luck and let us know how you're doing. Marlene
    Old 05-24-2011, 09:26 AM

Throw out the practice sandwiches and stencils. Layer a kid- or pet-sized quilt and just meander. You can start with drawing the pattern on a piece of paper if you want, but after a few tries throw that out and just get to stitching. You'll learn more on an actual project than on a practice piece because a) it's bigger, and b) you can't just throw it out after a few minutes. It's like an extended practice session, after which you'll have a good feel for how things move and what to do to get your stitches right.

Once you have that it's a much shorter jump to quilt patterns.
    Old 05-24-2011, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by vivientan
    Originally Posted by LivelyLady
    I've been trying out FMQ for the past year but I don't seem to be improving. First thing first, I never get the thread tension right. I either get loops at the front or the back. I'm using a Janome 6260 and I've tried every single tension from 0 - 9 but nothing works. Even tried varying the machine speed, foot pedal tension etc but still at a dead end.

I find it rather hard to move my quilt sandwich under the machine. Sometimes it gets stucked, causing a huge ball of thread forming underneath! What has gone wrong?

The worst is, I can never get even stitches. They are either too short or too long. Can't seem to be able to move my quilt at an even speed. Even tried drawing out my design from a quilt stencil but somehow, I just can't follow the design! Jagged curves, uneven lines etc.

I don't think I can ever succeed with FMQ, despite trying on lots and lots of practice sandwiches. Maybe I should really just call it a day and stick to my walking foot. :(

Sorry for all these ranting...I need to let off steam!
    I have the same machine and haven't had to adjust the tension. I usually use the same thread in top and bobbin, but do use invisible thread on top and reg cotton on bottom with no problems. At first it was a little frustrating and by no means is my FMQ show quality but it is passible. No matter what I tried I couldn't stop the eyelashes on the back and that's when my LQS owner/dealer told me that a single hole plate would make a huge difference .......and it certainly did! The stitches are getting more uniform and no more eyelashes :)
    Good to know that your machine is working well for you! Thanks, I will try to get a single hole plate if that is really the problem. Can you share with me the thread tension u used with FMQ? How about the foot pressure? I left mine at 2 or 3. Did you use a blue bobbin which everyone else is talking about?
    I leave mine on 3 and I don't use a blue bobbin. I also find using the single hole plate that my piecing is so much better too. I put a sticky note on my machine when I have the single hole plate in......it would surely break a needle if you put it on a decorative stitch function.
    Old 05-27-2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by danade
    Oh, and one more thing--be sure your stitch length is set at zero. Very important also. It's very easy to forget to do all these steps--no wonder it's hard to learn.
    I've just realised that when, earlier this week, I managed to do some successful FMQ on my Janome for the first time EVER after 7 years of trying, I hadn't altered the stitch length to zero! I wonder if it made any difference?
    Old 05-27-2011, 08:48 AM

go back to your sewing machine supplier. the problem is that you need a quilting bobin holder.. i had the same problem and went back to where i bought the machine and bought the different bobbin holder,....BINGO!!! IT WORKED I have a janome as well as the sewing machine guy told me this is usually the issue with janomes.. i have never put back the original one and it FMQ s great now as well as sewing tol!!!!
    Old 05-27-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by aberi
    go back to your sewing machine supplier. the problem is that you need a quilting bobin holder.. i had the same problem and went back to where i bought the machine and bought the different bobbin holder,....BINGO!!! IT WORKED I have a janome as well as the sewing machine guy told me this is usually the issue with janomes.. i have never put back the original one and it FMQ s great now as well as sewing tol!!!!
    My Janome is just about managing FMQ with the blue dot bobbin holder, but the tension is still on 9, which doesn't really sseem right.
    Old 05-27-2011, 10:13 AM

Bingo! Just tonite, I managed to get it all right! I left my tension at 2 and it seems to work fine! I'm just wondering why it didn't work the other day with the same settings???

Just finished a meandering design for a practice 14x14 sandwich. With practice, I could see my stitches getting more even, though there's an occasional stitch or two that seems out of place.

Will keep on practicing, and hopefully I can be as good as everyone here. :)
    Old 05-27-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
    My Janome is just about managing FMQ with the blue dot bobbin holder, but the tension is still on 9, which doesn't really sseem right.
    I'm not sure if leaving the stitch length at zero makes a difference but I do that all the time. The stitch length for FMQ is dependent on how fast we move the quilt with our hands in relation to the needle speed.

If putting your tension at 9 solves your problem, then u should just go with it. I had previously left mine at 9 and it works too! But on certain days it doesn't. LOL. Now putting my tension at 2 seems to work perfectly for me.

I'm still waiting for my blue bobbin holder...hopefully that will be the end to all my tension problems.

I was shopping at Spotlight earlier and happened to see the Janome promoter, so I spoke to her about my tension problem. She said I shouldn't have any problems if I leave the tension between 2 to 4, have my feed dogs down and use the correct needle for my thread. Also said she has never heard of anyone having tension problems for 6260. Hmm......

Btw have u tried the blue tip needles? I'm not sure if it really helps, but my tension problems seem to have improved after I switch to those needles.
    Old 05-27-2011, 10:28 AM

If putting your tension at 9 solves your problem, then u should just go with it. I had previously left mine at 9 and it works too! But on certain days it doesn't. LOL. Now putting my tension at 2 seems to work perfectly for me.

I'm still waiting for my blue bobbin holder...hopefully that will be the end to all my tension problems.

I was shopping at Spotlight earlier and happened to see the Janome promoter, so I spoke to her about my tension problem. She said I shouldn't have any problems if I leave the tension between 2 to 4, have my feed dogs down and use the correct needle for my thread. Also said she has never heard of anyone having tension problems for 6260. Hmm......

Btw have u tried the blue tip needles? I'm not sure if it really helps, but my tension problems seem to have improved after I switch to those needles.
    Several Janome people have assured me that I "shouldn't" have the problems I have - but even so, I do! I'd like to see the person you spoke to set the tension on my machine to 2 and get decent results... The existence of the blue dot bobbin case suggests that they do know there are problems, but just can't admit it - I don't know of another make of sewing machine that finds itt necessary to sell a different bobbin case for FMQ.
    I've tried various needles and at the moment a top stitch 11 is working for me - but I've got some blue tip and will try them if I have any more difficulties.
    SO glad that you've solved the issue on your machine - I hope that you can now enjoy FMQ!
    Old 05-27-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads

Several Janome people have assured me that I "shouldn't" have the problems I have - but even so, I do! I'd like to see the person you spoke to set the tension on my machine to 2 and get decent results... The existence of the blue dot bobbin case suggests that they do know there are problems, but just can't admit it - I don't know of another make of sewing machine that finds itt necessary to sell a different bobbin case for FMQ.
    I've tried various needles and at the moment a top stitch 11 is working for me - but I've got some blue tip and will try them if I have any more difficulties.
    SO glad that you've solved the issue on your machine - I hope that you can now enjoy FMQ!
    Thanks! I hope this is the end to your FMQ woes too! :)

My machine's weird....sometimes it works and the day after it doesn't, even though I've not changed the settings. Keeping my fingers crossed that tomorrow will be another good FMQ day!