Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm discouraged :( >
  • I'm discouraged :(

• I'm discouraged :(

Old 05-22-2011, 04:04 AM
    Power Poster

If your machine sews at an even tension when you are straight stitching then your tension is fine. Are the feed dogs up or down. Personally I keep my feed dogs up it gives me better control. Feed dogs down you can slide your quilt sandwich with more ease. Don't give up! Do you have someone who does FMQ that can show you their technique? Good Luck, keep at it, someday you will be so greatful that you did!
    Old 05-22-2011, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Tweety2911
    If your machine sews at an even tension when you are straight stitching then your tension is fine. Are the feed dogs up or down. Personally I keep my feed dogs up it gives me better control. Feed dogs down you can slide your quilt sandwich with more ease. Don't give up! Do you have someone who does FMQ that can show you their technique? Good Luck, keep at it, someday you will be so greatful that you did!
    I didn't know that you could keep your feed dogs up.

Thanks!! I learned something new today.
    Old 05-22-2011, 04:31 AM

Here is the link for Leah Day. I am recommending her site to a lot of people. She also has video's which help me.

http://www.daystyledesigns.com/freemotionquilting.htm
    Old 05-22-2011, 04:50 AM
    Power Poster

You mentioned using invisible thread .... are your stitches OK when you use the same thread on both the top and bottom?

Also, are your stitches ok, if you are doing regular straight stitching? Check there ... and get it set up to stitch well in that mode first.

I don't know your machine .... you mention threading the bobbin clockwise and counter clockwise. Is that something specific to the machine? I've never heard of that before!

Ask your LQS for a private lesson. It won't likely cost you too much. They can tell you all they like, but this way you can have them guide you thru each step ... and help trouble shoot and then gain confidence with the technique to go home and master the skill!
    Old 05-22-2011, 04:58 AM
    Power Poster

I'm sorry you're having trouble but glad you started this thread!!! I need a lot of encouragement and tips as well :)
    Good luck!!
    Old 05-22-2011, 05:06 AM

Lots of good advice here, as always. I am by no means an expert or even particularly good, but do feel better & better about my fmq all the time. I bought the little Gidget sewing table that Leah Day sells on her website, that allows me to have a flat surface. That and making sure you have plenty of space behind and to the left of your machine to support your quilt really, really makes a difference. Also, I taped clear vinyl on top of my table and that helps a whole lot in moving the quilt around, makes the surface slippery. That being said, I think I do better leaving my feed dogs up. Go figure. Do keep working on it. When it starts to kind of come together it is soooo much fun!
    Old 05-22-2011, 05:11 AM

I am practicing now on my Janome, too, and making some slow, very slow, progress. Here are some simple things I had to do:

1. Read the manual carefully & follow everything it says. Like, mode & pattern number, correct foot & tension settings.

2. Use gloves to help slide the fabric. It's amazing what a difference that makes.

3. The machine sounds like it's racing, but you should not feel the need to speed along. My problem was that I tried to race through the pattern and couldn't control where I was going at that speed. Now I am taking my time and just practicing control with simple circles and even straight line patterns. Take a deep breath and slow down!

I'm seeing a big improvement in just slowing down. I made a lot of sandwich blocks from an old mattress pad and some old "ugly" fabric. Sadly, everyone is right about practice, practice, but I now think I'll finally get the hang of it. Don't give up.
    Old 05-22-2011, 05:13 AM

I feel your pain. I gave up FMQ and bought a statler stitcher.
    Old 05-22-2011, 05:15 AM

I have a Janome and I can't get rid of the eyelashes. I also have tried all the tensions from 1 thru 9. I do have the free motion foot on and feed dogs dropped but still get the eyelashes. I never thought about the single hole needle plate. I will get one and try it.
    Old 05-22-2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    You mentioned using invisible thread .... are your stitches OK when you use the same thread on both the top and bottom?

Also, are your stitches ok, if you are doing regular straight stitching? Check there ... and get it set up to stitch well in that mode first.

I don't know your machine .... you mention threading the bobbin clockwise and counter clockwise. Is that something specific to the machine? I've never heard of that before!

Ask your LQS for a private lesson. It won't likely cost you too much. They can tell you all they like, but this way you can have them guide you thru each step ... and help trouble shoot and then gain confidence with the technique to go home and master the skill!
    I'm practicing on my practice sandwich now with the same thread for top and bottom, but tension is not ok. Used to have this problem sewing straight lines with a walking foot too, but after some adjustments it was ok. For FMQ using a darning foot, tension is just not right no matter what thread tension setting I use.

When I mentioned about the bobbin moving clockwise and anti-clockwise, what I heard was, some machines prefer clockwise and some anti-clockwise, so it really depends. You can change the direction just by removing the bobbin, flip it over and pop it back into the holder.

Yeah I've been for a private FMQ class 2 years ago. I can't remember what setting was used then, but it seemed to work fine! It's funny how my machine can function well out of my home, but go haywire when it's back!