Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm getting a barn quilt! I'm getting a barn quilt! >
  • I'm getting a barn quilt! I'm getting a barn quilt!

• I'm getting a barn quilt! I'm getting a barn quilt!

Old 06-12-2012, 12:16 PM
    Vat

I did myself six (6) Barn Quilts last October. They are: Alabama Star , Virginia Star , an appliqued Daisy , Log Cabin , one called This 'n' That , Nine Patch Revisited. While I was gone to a quilt show in Georgia, my husband, son and daughter-in-law hung them for me. Texted me a picture (the only text I have ever opened) , they look GREAT! ! ! Everyone that sees them think they are wonderful. Congrats on getting your own! !
    Old 06-12-2012, 12:31 PM

Lucky you!! I love barn quilts and would love to have one.... if I only had a barn.....
    Old 06-12-2012, 02:07 PM

that sounds like a great idea, I'm thinkg about one for my back yard santuary.
    Old 06-12-2012, 04:22 PM

I'll share a bit of wisdom from local experience. We have a barn quilt trail here. A friend of mine, who teaches art, wanted to join in, so she had her students paint a large one on plywood for the side of our school. It came apart in the weather within 2 years. Our barn quilt group paints on metal and they buy a special paint to hold up outdoors. It's worth the extra investment up front if it will last 10 times longer.
    Old 06-13-2012, 04:00 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Oh, lucky you!!! Wish I had a barn on which to put one. Can't wait to see yours.
    Old 06-13-2012, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949
    I'll share a bit of wisdom from local experience. We have a barn quilt trail here. A friend of mine, who teaches art, wanted to join in, so she had her students paint a large one on plywood for the side of our school. It came apart in the weather within 2 years. Our barn quilt group paints on metal and they buy a special paint to hold up outdoors. It's worth the extra investment up front if it will last 10 times longer.
    Metal? What kind? What kind of paint?
    Old 06-13-2012, 04:52 AM

We are finishing refurbishing our old barn. I have made it known I want to put a barn quilt up. I need sources for the "how to" part of making one - type of wood (exterior plywood, I would guess), paint, etc. When this thing is finally up in the air about 35 ft, I want it to last!! Can you suggest sources I can research?
    Old 06-13-2012, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949
    Can you get the name of the metal and the paint used? Thanks
    Old 06-13-2012, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by jdavis
    As I said in an earlier post, the building is my DH's wood shop. Carpenter's Wheel would be so appropriate. I am partial to eight pointed star blocks, hence my decision. When I asked my DH for color input, he declined. Says he has absolutely no preference. So I don't think he'd care about the block itself (but I'll have to ask, now that you mention it). As for colors, I like all kinds of color, but don't want to scare my neighbors.
    If I were doing a carpenter's wheel, I'd probably keep with building colors. A brick red for the main color then a golden tan to mimic wood planks. Some variation of a very light beige for the back ground color, cream, ecru.......

IF those colors look good on your barn.
    Old 06-13-2012, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by jdavis
    You have the basic idea. Most in my area are done on wood or similar material and then hung on the barn. I think it's funny to call them barn quilts, when they are really just one quilt block, but I guess it's easier to say "barn quilt." For my non-quilting friends, I'm calling it my quilt sign.

the quilt I'm working on now is just one block------------a 60" carpenters wheel-------------so a one block barn quilt deserves its name.