Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm going to cry - (Machine Broke Down) >
  • I'm going to cry - (Machine Broke Down)

• I'm going to cry - (Machine Broke Down)

Old 08-10-2009, 01:32 PM
    Administrator

Like everyone else, i hope you find another machine you can afford. Like many of the others, i also encourage you to try hand-piecing. it's a lot slower than doing it by machine but it does have some advantages.

- needles and thread cost waaaaaaaaaaay less than machines.
    - much easier to replace a bent or broken needle than a malfuntioning machine.
    - you can take your project with you just about anywhere you go. instead of being irritated by how long the doctor makes you wait, you'll be irritated because he's interrupting you. :lol:
    - it's quieter than machine piecing so can actually be quite relaxing once you "find your zone".
    - it's a LOT easier to piece intricate blocks by hand (think Y-Seams) than it is by machine.
    - you can sew in the same room as the TV and actually hear the TV. (what a concept!)
    - everybody who sees you working on a project will be extremely curious and impressed. it's a real conversation starter.
    - you will be extra proud of each and every project you make completely by hand.

wow! i don't know if i changed your mind about anything, but i'm suddenly itchin' to drag out one of my long neglected hand-piecing projects now. i'm off to dig through my drawers and blow the dust off my needles. :lol:
    Old 08-10-2009, 01:41 PM
    Power Poster

I would get on Freecycle.com, find your area and post begging for a working sewing machine! Not having a machine is worth begging for. I would do it in a second if I had no other choice. I bet someone has a machine just sitting collecting dust that they forgot about. Try making yo yos and hexagons and a cathedral window (all handwork) until you find a machine. I just know Freecycle will be a big help.
    Old 08-10-2009, 01:52 PM

If someone in your household or you are mechanically inclined, maybe this link will help them fix your machine:

http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine...k%20Timing.htm
    Old 08-10-2009, 02:06 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    - it's quieter than machine piecing so can actually be quite relaxing once you "find your zone".
    ahem, until I prick my finger - then it gets A LOT louder than the machine - lol

Sorry about your machine. I hope you find a new companion soon.
    Old 08-10-2009, 02:08 PM

I am so sorry to hear that. Please don't be depressed. Check Craigslist.
    I have found some great deals on there. The other day a lady had 7 working sewing machines, each 25.00 your choice. she sold them all in 2 days.
    almost every day there are machines on there that either, someone is selling from an estate or someone has had sitting around and doesn't use.
    There are bargains.
    Yes there are also rip offs.
    Also how long have you had the machine? do you by any chance still have the box? you could try taking it back to Walmart and at least get store credit if you don't have the receipt
    Also work on hand sewing as someone else said
    I am so sorry that you are going through this and will keep hoping that something good happens for you.
    Old 08-10-2009, 02:22 PM

Watch the classified section in your local newspaper. Ours often has sewing machines for sale very inexpensively. I called about a cabinet and the seller told me I could have it for free if I took the sewing machine with it. Both were in excellent condition, but she was tired of them sitting around and not being used.
    Old 08-10-2009, 02:39 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about your sewing machine. :cry: I would be in tears too.
    I'd put an ad on freecycle.org, put one in each group/city around you! I'm guessing you'll get offers of several in just a couple of days.
    People have them sitting around, never even thinking about them, then they see your ad needing one.....
    I hope you get another soon!!
    Old 08-10-2009, 02:46 PM

I don't know how long you have been here, but I had a similar story that may give you hope. Back in May my old, old, old Bernina broke. It is a very good machine but it is the second time it breaks in a year. I thought I would go nuts and posted on a message board that I found following a link from here. My husband lost his job and I am very unsecure about mine. I was in contact with a woman helping me to solve the problem and find a possible way to fix it, when someone e-mailed me offering a Bernina she had and didn't want.

I accepted her offer and the next day I eceived by FeDex a Bernina artista 630 with very few hours on it. It had all the bells and whistles. I was loosing hope on the world and my whole view on life has changed. Things are still hard and money is still not there, but it will change. sooner or later, but it will change.

Check on Freecycle on your area. If no one is giving one away, post asking for one. You may make someone remember that they have one and can give it away. I am selling my house and had a free standing sink. I didn't post it on Freecycle because didn't think anyone would want it. A girl posted asking for one and made me realize that it could still be used. She picked it up yesterday and was very happy.

Good luck on your search and please, let us know what happens.

Maria
    Old 08-10-2009, 02:54 PM

I am sew sorry that you are machineless right now. Hand sewing was around a lot longer than machines! It is also much more peaceful.
    Freecycle.org is a great place to get free things! In our area it has changed to
    [email protected]

Check it out. I am amazed at what I have gotten and given away. Many people have oder sewing machines just gathering dust, and would be glad to have them go to someone who would use them. Actually, I have found several just sitting at the curb for trash pickup when people are moving. Keep your eyes open, and ask! :lol:
    Old 08-10-2009, 04:16 PM
    Power Poster

I'm sorry to hear about your machine, I know how frustrating that must be. Along with the others...learn to hand quilt...its actually relaxing and do check the free sites/craigs list. Also..don't know about Nashville, but here we don't have trash pickup...we take ours to a "convenience center" They always have a pile of "good stuff" that people are wanting to throw away that are still good...I can't tell you what all we have "recycled" out of the "good stuff" pile. If Nashville doesn't have these, I know that the smaller surrounding towns do. Good luck!