Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Im Home from Paducah! >
  • Im Home from Paducah!

• Im Home from Paducah!

Old 04-29-2010, 01:09 PM

I am sorry you had a tough time. But your story cracked me up! I am from the north. I have been living in KY for 5 years. I can so believe that the first town would not help you. They are very laid back here. LOL. And the only car available a Ford F-150....... Thats all they have here in KY. Everyone drives one. LOL LOL LOL.. And yes, things open late on Sunday. They even close early on Saturday. But if sounds like you make great use of your time.
    Old 04-29-2010, 02:53 PM

That is too funny. I am glad you had the attitude to make the best of it and have fun.

My son and nephew both have Dodge extended cab trucks. Identical except for the color and my nephews is a 4WD. I have ridden in my sons a few times, and could probably drive it fine. But my nephews is different. Not the driving part, I suppose but it sits way higher and getting in the back seat is a hoot.

When I visited them in TX last month we took his truck to a few places and just getting into the back took an act of pure will and determination. I am not particularly short, 5'4" but I don't think they designed the back part for access to anyone under six feet. We were in and out a few times, and I made it with a lot of giggles and help from my sister pulling from the other side. But the last time, after dinner, I was trying to get in and every time I was nearly there my leg would cramp and I could not get it to bend. Not fun. My BIL offered to get out and give me a shove and that did it. Cramp or not, I made it. But it was quite an experience.

I used to drive my inlaws duelly and that was always fun. But as long as I had room in the parking lot I did ok.
    Old 04-29-2010, 03:41 PM

Here's hoping next year will be a wonderful trip with nary a story to be told!
    Old 04-29-2010, 04:08 PM

Tears are running down my eyes--I have laughed so much. I only live an hour from Murray--if I had only known you were stuck in Mayfield, I would have come and got you. If I were to break down in Paducah, I would want it to be at Hancock's, but my credit card would have been maxed out. They had some terrific prices on the one yard cuts.

Did you get some of that strawberry cake? Wow, it was fantastic!

You will not forget this trip. Good luck on your next car purchase!
    Old 04-29-2010, 05:08 PM
    Dkm

Sorry you didn't have a good experience here in Ky. It is a beautiful state and does have friendly people. Please come back sometime in the future.

We bought a new car several years ago to take our children to Florida(one and only trip) and broke down in Athens Tenn. The car only had 1,000+ miles. they(car dealer) dropped us off at a less than wonderful motel and drove off. They wouldn't even give us a care to drive(out of state). We had to have family come and get us.

Your story gave me a real laugh. Maybe you should share this with a quilting magazine and reap some rewards.
    Old 04-29-2010, 05:59 PM

For being in a bad situation, I applaud you & your friend for being calm & resouceful & still having a great time. It is a story you won't forget anytime soon! That was a good idea going to Wal-Mart. Helped make the time go quicker plus you got a head start on your new quilt. Hope you have a much better trip next year.
    Old 04-29-2010, 06:05 PM

You were definitely resourceful ... and yeah... Kentucky has some small towns (I know I'm originally from one on the east side). :D
    Old 04-29-2010, 06:11 PM
    Banned

:lol: that is so funny, I know it was not at the time, but it is funny. thank you for the laugh, I so need one once in a while. I am so glad you had money to make everything work out. I am gone to read this to hubby, he needs a laugh to. right now are phone is diconected because we don't have money. so a laugh is good for both of us. God bless. Penny
    Old 04-29-2010, 06:27 PM

Loved your story!

I will agree that without the running boards my F150 (extended cab) would be a challenge to get in and out of, especially the back seat. Thankfully mine has the lovely running boards and a bed cover, woohoo! Of all the different shapes and sizes of vehicles I/we have owned I think this is my favorite (except when trying to park in small spaces...then I miss my Taurus). Definitely beats the Dodge maxivan (delivery style...hardly any windows)we had when the kids were growing up.
    Old 04-29-2010, 06:39 PM

my perspective of lemons to lemonade.... oh, to be stuck ANYWHERE with a rotary cutter, mat and LOTS of fabric! As for the truck, that's everyday life for me, although we do have a nice running board for our F350, otherwise this fannie wouldn't make it. <grin>