Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm in the new Sept/Oct issue McCall's Quilting >
  • I'm in the new Sept/Oct issue McCall's Quilting

• I'm in the new Sept/Oct issue McCall's Quilting

Old 07-31-2011, 02:31 PM

I read that article, Gail, because our guild is having our biannual quilt show in January 2012. I am the chair this time around. I selected a lady to design and "guide" our opportunity quilt through the process.

It is not a traditional style quilt, and I have noticed that some of the members are not "behind" this particular quilt. They haven't stepped up and sold very many tickets for it. I am disappointed that they expect every one of our opportunity quilts to be a masterpiece work of art, being mostly applique and very classicly styled. Compared to many opportunity quilts I have seen, ours is quite colorful, modern style and it is very nicely done, with both piecing and applique work. Most of the members are very happy with the quilt. A word of caution to other guilds....be careful that one quilt that comes out a true "masterpiece" quilt is not the gauge by which all the next few quilts are judged. It is not possible for every opportunity quilt to meet or exceed those that have been done prior. Our quilt 5 years ago won blue ribbons all over CA, and it was really a breathtaking quilt. Now it seems we have to come up with something equal, or some of the members won't support it. It shouldn't be that way, and, again, I'm disappointed that some of the members are like that.
    Old 07-31-2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by gailmitchell
    I'm tickled pink. An article I wrote on Tips for selecting a money-making raffle quilt, was published in the McCalls Quilting Issue that just hit the news stands.

I'm pleased with the timing of the article since I know most guilds do their raffle quilt planning at the start of their guild year, which around here is September.

If you get a chance to read the article, I'd love to have your feedback.
    I have Aug/Sept McCalls QuickQuilts. is that the same magazine? I don't see the article.
    Old 07-31-2011, 04:00 PM

I'm tickled pink. An article I wrote on Tips for selecting a money-making raffle quilt, was published in the McCalls Quilting Issue that just hit the news stands.

I'm pleased with the timing of the article since I know most guilds do their raffle quilt planning at the start of their guild year, which around here is September.

Congrats...awesome!
    Old 07-31-2011, 04:28 PM

Congrats! Just received my copy will read your article for sure!
    Old 07-31-2011, 04:34 PM

Wahoo, good for you! How exciting that you've been published. Now, do it again! :)
    Old 07-31-2011, 05:07 PM

Gail- I just read your article this weekend. I made my first charity quilt for my sister to auction off at her yearly fund raiser she does for Heeling Autism. The quilt I made last (see attached pic) year did not get as much$ as I had hoped for. With your suggestions in your article I hope to make a quilt that will appeal to more of the people that attended the fund raiser. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-234577.jpe  
    Old 07-31-2011, 05:26 PM

Congrats
    Old 07-31-2011, 05:57 PM

Congratulations! I have my issue sitting on the coffee table. I saw that article when I did my initial "flip-through!" I'll have to be sure to read it when I start back through the magazine!!

Old 07-31-2011, 06:02 PM

Congratulations.
    Old 07-31-2011, 06:09 PM

congradulations! I have to get that magazine now!