Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Im not enjoying quilting this queen quilt on my Janome 8050! >
  • Im not enjoying quilting this queen quilt on my Janome 8050!

• Im not enjoying quilting this queen quilt on my Janome 8050!

Old 02-08-2014, 03:49 PM

I have cut my batting in thirds. Quilted the middle first. Connected the batting pieces with tape, then quilted each side Less bulk under the machine.
    Old 02-08-2014, 08:44 PM

This reminds me of my first quilt. 25 years ago I started a baby quilt and didn't finish it until the baby was 3 so turned it into a king size quilt. Bought a walking foot, Quilted on my very (little) basic singer (home ec class type) sewing machine. My then 3 year old assisted by helping me move the quilt over the sewing machine cabinet while I was quilting it. I did everything wrong, cheap fabric, cheap thread etc. 22 years later I'm sleeping under the quilt as I write this. I think what it made it work for me is I followed by FIL mantra: 'it'll never be noticed on a galloping horse and that's the only kind I ride' I just wanted to get the damn thing done and didn't worry about mistakes. I ended up not really quilting again until a few years ago. I went to a free motion machine quilting 4 day workshop with Cindy Needham with my same little singer machine. I had left the cord at home, she immediately lent me her machine, telling me I could have a big girl machine. I think if even if I hadn't left the cord at home she would have lent me her machine. I ended up buying a used 'big girl' machine there.

Well my now big girl machine broke and I'll be using the old singer for a few weeks. I'll be commiserating with you. Don't worry about perfection. It helps to take a class with someone who can help you trouble shoot your problems. Think about switching to a walking foot for this quilt and start Free motion quilting on something smaller. 12" squares are wonderful to start on. You can then put them together to make a big quilt. Petersons crafty class. I'll be thinking of you as I FMQ on my little machine.
    Old 02-08-2014, 09:22 PM

Oh yes, one last things. Straight lines are relatively easy with a walking foot. Very Hard with free motion quilting. Try an easier pattern. Stippling, pebbles etc.
    Old 02-08-2014, 10:28 PM

Wanna, I just wanted to say that I am so very proud of you for even trying FMQ. I want to but I don't know if I have the determination to. I am sure there are plenty on here that are like me but you hun went ahead and did it. Pat yourself on the back. You can do it!. With the help and experience of all the dear ladies on this board you will succeed. Good luck!! and Thumbup: Thumbup:

mjpEncinitas gave me the inspiration to post. I do not know her or anyone else on this board as far as I know. You all just inspire me.

Last edited by Ladibug; 02-08-2014 at 10:31 PM.