Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm not getting this hand quilting thing. >
  • I'm not getting this hand quilting thing.

• I'm not getting this hand quilting thing.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
    I have
    Needles: John James package sizes 3 through 9
    Thread: Aurifil 40wt
    Beeswax
    Wool Batting
    Q snap 11 x 17 lap frame
    Thimbles: John James metal with the ridge on the top and a Comfort Thimble (It smells and my needle gets stuck in it )

I ironed 2 fat quarters, cut a piece of batting, traced a stencil on the top fabric, basted it all together, put it in the frame. It seemed too tight so I tried to loosen it a bit. I got an instant manicure trying to remove the clips from the frame. OK. Operator error obviously - since there are no instructions with the frame - the manufacturer must feel it is idiot proof. I arranged the fabric looser, put the clips back on, the fabric pretty much went right back where it was originally. Fine.

I managed to get my needle threaded! I watched 3 different videos to figure out how to make a quilters knot by wrapping the thread around the needle. It looks easy enough. Not for this simpleton. I wound the thread around my finger and made a
    knot.

I know enough to start in the middle, I started off to the side a bit to hide my knot and brought the needle up through the fabric. I put the needle down through the fabric, stabbed my finger, pulled the needle out, stopped the bleeding, tried again. I got the needle down with no more bloodshed, using the thimble I tried to do the "rocking" to get a couple stitches on the needle. No joy - the fabric is still too tight. I tried to loosen it again. The frame fell apart. I totally suck at this and I am light headed from blood loss. Why is this so darned difficult?!
    Well, you made my day. Thanks for the chuckle. I
    I do hope you try again. It can be relaxing.
    Old 08-30-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
    I have tried all type of combinations. What works for me is a 14" round hoop. I rest my quilt and hoop on a card table. I am able to get my quilt sandwich the right tension. If you have seen any of borntohandquilt quilting it is amazing. She only does one stitch at a time. I am doing much better with the one stitch method. It is trial and error until you get what works for you:)
    This is what I did on my last quilt and loved it. Just takes practice.
    Old 08-30-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by sailsablazin
    I watched many YOU TUBE videos to get the quilter's knot..
    Watch one of Sharon Schamber's quilting videos.
    Try this....hold threaded needle in RIGHT hand, place about 1/2 inch of the long end of this piece of thread BEHIND the needle (end of thread pointing to sky). Then with LEFT hand wrap around needle 3 times,,,and take the wraps off needle with RIGHT fingernails sliding them down the needle and down long piece of thread until almost the end of thread and pull tight. This is what makes that knot. (Hope that I explained it well enough for you to understand).
    I've got the knot figured out, I am still working on the rest. I have used Sharon Schamber's method of quilting without a hoop and like it.
    I think you've described how to make the knot perfectly! It's how I make all my knots now... so quick and easy... once you get the hang of it...
    Old 08-30-2011, 02:59 PM

Try an Aunt Becky or similar on the under-finger, there should be no need to call in the Red Cross. And get a good book on hand-quilting, such as Jinny Beyer's.
    Old 08-30-2011, 03:23 PM

rofl are you sure your not my secret sister ???? even my husband said that sounded exactly like me. maybe im just too chicken to try hand quilting even though im pretty good at counted cross stitch theres those holes to keep my stitches even i think i would suck at handquilting too. i would love to learn but not sure i could get the hang of it after all i nearly flunked the sewing part of home economics. im sure my home ec teacher would die of heart failure to know im quilting.
    carla
    Old 08-30-2011, 04:55 PM

When I hand quilted, I did not use a hoop - I just layed it on my lap one hand on top one on bottom and it worked out just fine. I don't like to use a hoop - for me they're more bother than helpful.

So I would suggest you forget about using the hoop for now at least.
    Old 08-30-2011, 04:58 PM

I could never work with frames, i havent tried but i do know that with the fabric free allows you to bend it to your will.
    Old 08-30-2011, 09:35 PM

Keep practicing. Your fingers will stop hurting when you are used to it. do make the fabric looser. It will help. I use a stand up scroll frame (Gracie EZ). I started with a hoop frame and it worked well. Don't worry about what everyone else says. Do what works for you. I buy needles and hand quilting thread at Walmart. Works for me. Experiment.
    Old 08-31-2011, 03:10 PM

Thanks for the chuckle. I thought it was just me that had a hard time getting started. There are many quilts out there that have an extra appliqué or two because I bled on the quilt when I was still learning how to hand quilt. By hey, if someone ever tries to steal the quilt from the reciepent, we can always use DNA matching to prove who's it is.
    Old 08-31-2011, 03:34 PM

I hand quilt without a hoop. It is easier and more relaxing for me. I also have a finger cot on my thumb which helps stabilize the needle so that it doesn't slip and that gives me more control of the needle. You will get used to loading more than one stitch on the needle as you go along. I use a 10 between and it works very well for me. You'll find what works for you and you'll fall in love with it!