Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm not sure if I'm ready to take the plunge...am I really not a beginner anymore?? >
  • I'm not sure if I'm ready to take the plunge...am I really not a beginner anymore??

• I'm not sure if I'm ready to take the plunge...am I really not a beginner anymore??

Old 10-24-2013, 06:06 AM

I'm curious how she makes hers as well. I prefer the no waste method for FG, I just have to do the math in advance to find out the right size squares and rectangles. I'm curious about the website that lists the chart. Does anyone know what it is?
    Old 10-24-2013, 06:13 AM

Spread your wings! What do you have to lose? My first quilt was a 9 patch,the second a snowball quilt,the third a Mariner's Compass,my fourth a Drunkard's Path. I love to challenge myself with difficult patterns. Why be afraid to try new patterns, so you might lose a yard of fabric if it doesn't work well for you. Quilting is supposed to be fun! Try new things, explore. If you have a better way to make units of a block, then use your method. I had bought a quilting book and the author instructed that to make a 9 patch, she took 1 square at a time and made it that way. If I were to use her pattern, I would use strip piecing instead. Just faster and more accurate. Give yourself permission to do whatever you want.
    Old 10-24-2013, 06:18 AM

By all means do what works for you. You are not required to use special rulers. I have the ones you mentioned because I bought them long ago. Yes, I'm a tool collector. I had never used them until a made 54-40 blocks and couldn't get my triangle blocks right. After wasting a fair amount of fabric I decided to try the tri-recs and my triangles immediately came out right. I used the companion angle to one particular scrappy I made. I'm glad I've got those rulers, but I don't know when or if I'll use them again. I class them as a convenience, not a necessity.

And if you have a working method now, you are certainly ready to move on to more complex quilts!
    Old 10-24-2013, 06:39 AM

Gosh, thank you so much everyone for your encouragement. I have a 5 day staycation coming up and I'm going to spend as much time in my sewing room getting my scraps ready as I possibly can.
    Old 10-24-2013, 07:45 AM

I purchased the Wing Clipper at the recommendation of a teacher, but haven't used it yet.

The only way I will make a 54-40 or Fight block is with the Tri-Recs rulers. The Tri-Recs rulers can also be used to make diamonds. I have a picture of a quilt with a diamond border, but for some reason, it won't download.

I just saw a clip by Ricky Timms on how to make flying geese with just one seam. As I watched, I realized I had done this to form the blocks on the quilt pictured below. Because of the way it's sewn together, you can do a cathedral window type curve on the edges of the triangle.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]442958[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 2012-09-30-wandering-vines-col.-1.jpg  
    Old 10-24-2013, 07:45 AM

Hi mpeters1200,I agree with others that you should be wary of sites that seem to insist you buy the special rulers, I am USELESS at maths , but after reading advice from other quilters have earned to use basic rulers to do most shapes that you need.In these days when most of us need to practice careful use of money available then don't buy before you explore others knowledge. Letty x
    Old 10-24-2013, 07:48 AM

Hi Mckwilter, your comment said it all, you bought the wing clipper but haven't used it yet ! You have still produced a super pattern, well done x
    Old 10-24-2013, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy
    Ok, how do you make your HST? Inquiring minds want to know!
    For a 3 1/2 in HST that finishes at 3 in, I sew my dark strip to my light strip with a 1/4 in seam on both sides. Then I use my EB quilt in a day ruler to cut out triangles, flipping from side to side, with the 3 1/2 in line on the seam. Open the triangles and you have your HST. It's essentially the same method I use for strip tube quilts.
    Old 10-24-2013, 07:55 AM

Me thinks you think too much. Lol. Really, if you are happy with your method, and it gets you good results, there is no change needed. Try cutting out a rectangle, and two squares, cut the angles you would normally trim later, and try putting it together. Does it work better for you? If so acquire the new tools, if not, do it your way. There are videos on youtube that show how to make flying geese several different ways. As long as it stays enjoyable, that is all that matters.
    Old 10-24-2013, 08:17 AM

Doesn't this end up with bias edges to the HST?
    Originally Posted by Nilla
    For a 3 1/2 in HST that finishes at 3 in, I sew my dark strip to my light strip with a 1/4 in seam on both sides. Then I use my EB quilt in a day ruler to cut out triangles, flipping from side to side, with the 3 1/2 in line on the seam. Open the triangles and you have your HST. It's essentially the same method I use for strip tube quilts.