Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm only admitting this because..... >
  • I'm only admitting this because.....

• I'm only admitting this because.....

Old 05-11-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Pam H
    I just took mine apart and cleaned it. It's a wonder it would even run with all the lint in there!
    When I took my machine in for a sewing lesson she used a spray can of air to clean inside my machine. I may have to invest in one of those cans.
    I was told that machines with a drop in bobbin never need to be oiled. Doesn't seem right to me but the book that came with it doesn't say anything about oil in the maintenance section.
    Depends on your machine. My Vikings do not require oiling. I try to clean mine after every project or more often if the fabric is linty like flannel. I hate to take mine in for a bi-yearly cleaning as I don't like to be without my baby for a week.
    Old 05-11-2011, 08:10 AM

I'm sure many sewing machines have been tossed to the curb because they were not properly and thoroughly cleaned. You have shared a very important lesson. It's truly amazing how much lint and gunk accumulates in these little nooks and crannies. Thanks very much for sharing :)
    Old 05-11-2011, 08:21 AM

One of the questions I always ask my students is "Have you cleaned your machine?" Some of the ladies are more timid about their machines so I do the deep cleaning. Once I show them were all the dust bunnies can live they do a better job cleaning.
    A clean machine is a happy machine. :?
    Old 05-11-2011, 08:23 AM

I was told not to blow into areas of my machine that I am trying to clean. I bought a small set of tools that fit on my vacuum cleaner from my sewing store and it sucks out the dust. I use it after making projects that have a lot of nap on them. Like flannel. You may find it at your computer store also.
    Old 05-11-2011, 08:24 AM

I was told not to blow into areas of my machine that I am trying to clean. I bought a small set of tools that fit on my vacuum cleaner from my sewing store and it sucks out the dust. I use it after making projects that have a lot of nap on them. Like flannel. You may find it at your computer store also.
    Old 05-11-2011, 08:26 AM
    Banned

Good grief! I've been sewing since I was about six and now I'm....never mind--and it would never have occurred to me to clean my feed dogs! I feel like I've been abusing my machines! I'll get on it today! Thanks!
    Old 05-11-2011, 08:50 AM

How did you clean your feed dogs? I am having troble with my machine--its a Bernette and only 4 years old. It is like something is binding. I have cleaned the bobbin area, etc. We are living on a small income (S.S.) and I have hesitated in taking it in, because of the expense. Got any suggestions????
    Old 05-11-2011, 09:06 AM

You are a smart women finally figuring it out, it took me a long time to even know you had to clean your machine, I'm so happy with this board, it helps me learn new things. By the way I live in Colorado now, but New Mex. is my home state. Happy quilting!!
    Old 05-11-2011, 09:10 AM
    Power Poster

thank you for sharing this info -

it's truly amazing how much lint accumulates under there -

I think mine got so full of lint one time the cover plate popped up. :oops:
    Old 05-11-2011, 10:37 AM

I can identify with you. My Viking was 18 months old and was refusing to stitch correctly. When it came back from being cleaned, the person who cleaned sent a plastic bag containing what was stuck in the feed dogs. How embarassing. The machine was advertised as a sealed unit. Minimal cleaning. I guess I didn't read the manual.