Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm scared of binding >
  • I'm scared of binding

• I'm scared of binding

Old 05-11-2011, 06:40 AM

I agree with Marie.. You've got the hard part done.

I always refer to my Quilting Basics book before tackling binding. I used the double fold method and pin, pin, pin. But only pin one side at a time. It makes it easier to handle the bunching and make the corners smooth.

I never try and pin or glue the whole binding.

Good Luck.. Take your time and it will be OK.
    Old 05-11-2011, 07:33 AM

I have a business of binding for people who are afraid of binding! Just send it to me and I will bind it for you. You can see my charges at my website quiltingbymarie.com
    I love to bind quilts! sounds crazy I know but I do. If I were closer to you I would even teach you how to do it so you wouldn't have to be afraid.
    Old 05-11-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Renee110
    I've watched Sharon Schamber's binding video, which also scared me. It just seems to me that trying to glue and iron 110 feet of binding to a king size quilt will be almost impossible. I just have a regular ironing board.
    Well, if one of us had a 100 foot long ironing board to use, then I'm sure they will step up and offer it. Don't look at the whole picture! Consider this that the longest journey starts with just one step. ;)
    Old 05-11-2011, 07:42 AM
    Power Poster

I put a thickness of tape at the width of the binding that I need to sew, so that it is straight.

On those corners, fold it like the diagrams say. Then check is the fold at the top right on the edge of the quilt, not over and not under. Where the binding is overlapped are those edges right on top of each other. Is the binding that is going down the new side of the quilt straight with that edge.

Do you have a friend that does good corners that can make you fold yours in front of her to see how you are doing it?

Then there is the subject of who in the world cares or even notices if those corners are square. If it is being hung in a quilt shop or a quilt show, possibly, but that is the least noticed part of a quilt

Done is best
    Old 05-11-2011, 07:47 AM

Keep on 'practicing'. I have bound my third quilt and it has improved tremendously from my first. As the saying goes, "try, try, try again."
    Old 05-11-2011, 07:48 AM

Start in the middle of the side and leave a 12" piece hanging. sew around to the corner, make a 45 degree fold back on itself and then fold it back on itself with the fold even with the edge, sew thru the fold and on down to the next corner. Repeat all around. When you get to the end leave another 12 inches and cut the extra off. Fold one corner of the edge at another 45 degree and press, now put the other edge into the fold and trim so there is just a little under the fold. and sew thru it. now just turn to the back and hand stitch. Be sure you get a mitered corner and I sew that down so I get a nice sharp corner. I cut my binding at 2 1/2 " and sew it on with the
    1/4 ". Jan
    Old 05-11-2011, 07:53 AM

I too..wonder why you'd be scared..if you hand made this quilt..you can bind it..I for one find binding easy ..we were just talking about this in my quilt group..what scares some of us and what is easy for some..I panic on the quilting of them..find mitered corners and binding a breeze..so BITE THE BULLET you'll be fine!!
    Old 05-11-2011, 08:00 AM

When I turn my binding to the back, I iron it over, making sure it is an even width all the way around. I go ahead and fold the miter on the back, give it a shot of Magic Sizing and iron it too. (Don't leave the iron on it too long...ask me how I know!) Makes it easy to do the back and have it turn out nice. On the front, I do it the same as everyone else. I still have problems joining the tails so they are "invisible", but I'm getting better. Just keep practicing and don't be afraid to try.
    Old 05-11-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by ann31039
    I too was terrified of binding, but I tried Sharon's way. It really is easier. The glue binding is great. It really isn't going anywhere once it's glued. My miters came out really well and the binding looks really good. Don't be nervous about it. After all, you just done a KING size quilt. That really terrifies me!!

Don't try to use your ironing board for this. Throw a blanket over your table. It'll make it easier.
    I have used Sharon's method many times now and find it to be the easiest. Gluing the binding on is so helpful, and you don't have to mess with pins. You can either hand stitch or machine sew down the binding after you attach it on. I machine sew since I don't like to hand stitch. I just glue that into place too. I then finish off my binding with a decorative stitch to hide any flaws from sewing the binding down. The decorative stitch is very cute on baby quilts.
    Old 05-11-2011, 08:15 AM

The Missouri Quilt Co has AWESOME tutorials for this. The best finished look, IMHO, is to machine sew on the front and hand sew, w/ invisible stitches, the back. If you had the patitence and fortitude to hand quilt a King Size quilt putting the binding on will be a breeze. Of course, sometimes we are sad when projects end and this is the final step. Rejoice in finishing!