Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm in tears! >
  • I'm in tears!

• I'm in tears!

Old 02-01-2014, 02:37 PM
    Power Poster

You can go to plan b or plan c for those strips. Set them aside for a while until you get back into it some more.

It is frustrating - but you just said you had lots of other fabric to work with.

Also, if you really don't enjoy working/ playing with fabric any more - it is okay to " divorce" it.
    Old 02-01-2014, 02:43 PM

This isn't a mistake - it's a design opportunity! Look at all the wonderful ideas above - you will love this quilt even more when it is finished because it will be your own design, made from what you thought was something you needed to throw away. Hang in there - walk away for a day or so and give it a fresh eye later. We are pulling for you!
    Old 02-01-2014, 03:40 PM

Don't despair!! I did something similar to this a year ago. I was cutting out strips for a class I was going to and my husband said, "are you sure those are the right size". He NEVER says that to me. I measured, and they were not right. I had cut them 2.5" instead of the 2.75" they needed to be! I got some similar fabric and recut the 'mistakes' and cut the rest correctly. Now a year later, I have used almost all of the 2.5" strips in other quilts. I didn't throw any of it away and I'm glad of it.
    Old 02-01-2014, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dreaming
    I hadn't been quilting in quite awhile, just had no motivation to do it. The other day I looked at all of my fabric (and there is cupboards, drawers and containers full) and told myself that I couldn't give up quilting, I had to much fabric, that I need to get my act together and get to sewing, so I did. I have been sewing strips together, what seems forever and I just got done cutting all my pieces. Finally, time to start piecing. Well I was having a problem getting things to match. Turns out the six strips that I had to sew together to get the 12 strips I had to cut, I cut the wrong size. I knew they were suppose to be 1 1/2 inches, but for some reason I cut them all at 1 1/4 inches. I had already done some other strip sets and I had cut them 1 1/2 inches and cut them the size they were suppose to be. So needless to say, I can't even make the quilt smaller. I have no more of those fabrics and they had matched the flannel I had planned putting on the back. I guess I should have just given up on quilting. I have to through away all that fabric, such a waste. In all of my years of quilting, I have never made such a huge mistake. Why bother?
    All of my strips are aready cut into pieces. I'll figure something out, I hope.
    Old 02-01-2014, 03:50 PM
    Power Poster

The Good Lord guided your hand for something else in mind. It was meant to be.
    Old 02-01-2014, 04:27 PM

QUILT - don't QUIT! Go find that L!
    Old 02-01-2014, 04:36 PM

Don't throw it away!!! Mistakes just give you a creative license to do something else...I never throw away just re-create, sometimes it works out better than what I planned.....Show us pics and maybe we can help....
    Old 02-01-2014, 04:43 PM

It is my firm belief that mistakes are the mother of new quilt designs and blocks. As someone else said -it won't be the quilt you planned but you can make a nice quilt with some of it. And the pieces you can't use in this quilt can find their way into another project. Let your creative juices perculate a bit on this one. Good luck with a new adventure.
    Old 02-01-2014, 04:45 PM

Could you make two smaller quilts with the two different sized strips? Maybe mix in some other fabrics to get to the right size. I remember my mother turning a "mistake" quilt into a dog bed. It was so pretty and the dog loved it!

By the way, your avatar quilt is really beautiful. Anyone who could design and make that has a true gift, so I'm sure you can make something wonderful with you strips (even the world's nicest dog bed!)
    Old 02-01-2014, 04:49 PM

Google 'catastrophization'. It's something we do to ourselves and something we can learn to stop doing.
    Sounds to me like you are upset about something else and this is just a lightening rod. Be gentle with yourself. This truly does not matter, even though it feels bad.