Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm in tears! >
  • I'm in tears!

• I'm in tears!

Old 02-01-2014, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dreaming
    I hadn't been quilting in quite awhile, just had no motivation to do it. The other day I looked at all of my fabric (and there is cupboards, drawers and containers full) and told myself that I couldn't give up quilting, I had to much fabric, that I need to get my act together and get to sewing, so I did. I have been sewing strips together, what seems forever and I just got done cutting all my pieces. Finally, time to start piecing. Well I was having a problem getting things to match. Turns out the six strips that I had to sew together to get the 12 strips I had to cut, I cut the wrong size. I knew they were suppose to be 1 1/2 inches, but for some reason I cut them all at 1 1/4 inches. I had already done some other strip sets and I had cut them 1 1/2 inches and cut them the size they were suppose to be. So needless to say, I can't even make the quilt smaller. I have no more of those fabrics and they had matched the flannel I had planned putting on the back. I guess I should have just given up on quilting. I have to through away all that fabric, such a waste. In all of my years of quilting, I have never made such a huge mistake. Why bother?
    Start over.

Throw all that sewing into your scrap pile, or sew and then cut into 6" squares and make a scrap quilt/crazy quilt with those. Change your plans.

You said you have drawers full of fabric, so just pull out something different and go to work on it. Life is really too short to cry over fabric.

Really, it is. And sewing is supposed to be fun.
    Old 02-01-2014, 11:08 PM

Don't cry and above all don't quit, as lots of replies have suggested either re design using the smaller strip s or use them for something else. You're not the first and I bet you won't be the last to do this. I sat and cut 300 hst's 1/2 inch too small. I managed to get more fabric for my quilt and I'm still using the other ones in small projects lol
    Old 02-01-2014, 11:16 PM

Join the stripes into so many at a time. Then cut out squares on the diagonal. If not happy with the matches when put together sash.
    Old 02-02-2014, 04:32 AM
    Power Poster

Use the strips like they are and make a scrappy quilt. The width of the strips is not important. Try it, it is a good way to create something nice.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]460063[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails star-scrappy-quilt.jpg  
    Old 02-02-2014, 04:36 AM

I'm of no help with quilt ideas but whatever you decide don't give up. If I quit every time I made a mistake I'd still be doing nothing. Take a creative break & then come back to it. Relax & breathe slowly & things will work out.
    Old 02-02-2014, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by twinkie
    Use the strips like they are and make a scrappy quilt. The width of the strips is not important. Try it, it is a good way to create something nice.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]460063[/ATTACH]
    I love, love your quilt. So colourful. I'm not that experienced as a quilter so how do you do one like that?
    Old 02-02-2014, 04:52 AM

Mistakes do happen to all of us. An important think I learned is to not jump to far ahead of myself until I have checked out the square before moving forward. It takes a little extra time in the beginning but I don't end up with a large number of 'problem' pieces. As others have suggested set the mishap parts aside and make new ones with substitute fabrics. It might be tedious to re cut the ones that are correct to match those that are incorrect. This would give a smaller end product but maybe you could add more squares or add in some plain ones. I am sure it is usable-just different. Just yesterday someone posted about a project with a major re-do and and how pleased she was for having taken the time to do it.
    Old 02-02-2014, 05:11 AM

Not sure what pattern you are doing, but if you have that much fabric, surely you can find something similar in your stash to match what you already have. Then you have started not just one, but two quilts The 1 1/4 inch strips could be made into a log cabin, or subcut to other shapes. Even though it may seem overwhelming now, please don't give up when you've just gotten started again. If all else fails, use sashing to complete you blocks to make it the appropriate size, and donate it to charity.
    Old 02-02-2014, 05:14 AM

Hang in there and don't give up! I have a strip pieced 6400 square (1" each) top that is refusing to go together correctly right now but one day it will.....so I put it aside for a few weeks or months and will come back to it. I know it's my own fault, I picked a pattern that asks for perfection with seam allowances and that is not my strength. I do fine with bigger blocks but this one has so many seams, so many places to get a tiny bit off and those "tinies" do add up! I will finish mine, and SO WILL YOU!!!!!! Just keep posting here and let us all help you figure it out!!!!
    Old 02-02-2014, 05:53 AM

Oh you cannot give up on quilting, so you nade a mistake