Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm in tears! >
  • I'm in tears!

• I'm in tears!

Old 02-02-2014, 06:01 AM

Okay lets start over, just because you made a mistake do not give up. We all make mistakes. I am working on a quilt where the book is not right on measurement and I have wasted so much fabric correcting the mistakes. It happens. Put a smile back on your face and start over. .
    Old 02-02-2014, 06:38 AM

I would take the two different sized strip squares and either piece them with a white background fabric, or mount them on a solid white background in an alternate pattern. I would find a way to use them and sure wouldn't just throw them out. If nothing else, use them for placemats or mug rugs.
    Old 02-02-2014, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Onetomatoplant
    Give up quilting? Because of a mistake? Holy cow, I never would have started if that were the case! Can you cut your 1 1/2 strips to 1 1/4, and either go smaller or do a little bit bigger border?

Don't give up! Have a glass of wine, take a bath, and be like Scarlet O'Hara - think about it tomorrow.
    I totally agree with this.
    Old 02-02-2014, 06:56 AM
    Power Poster

Do not give up!!! Hang in there!!! We all make mistakes and they usually can be repaired.
    Old 02-02-2014, 06:57 AM

Don't give up! Have a glass of wine, take a bath, and be like Scarlet O'Hara - think about it tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I concur 100%. Don't let it beat you and don't throw your stash away. Take a break until you get your mojo back. Trust me BFF & I have been through this several times. Give yourself permission to do other things or just relax. Sound like you are feeling down, could that be the weather. Most of you have had horrendous weather for quite some time.
    Could you be suffering from SAD (seasonal affective disorder) I hope you are feeling better about things soon.
    Old 02-02-2014, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dreaming
    I hadn't been quilting in quite awhile, just had no motivation to do it. The other day I looked at all of my fabric (and there is cupboards, drawers and containers full) and told myself that I couldn't give up quilting, I had to much fabric, that I need to get my act together and get to sewing, so I did. I have been sewing strips together, what seems forever and I just got done cutting all my pieces. Finally, time to start piecing. Well I was having a problem getting things to match. Turns out the six strips that I had to sew together to get the 12 strips I had to cut, I cut the wrong size. I knew they were suppose to be 1 1/2 inches, but for some reason I cut them all at 1 1/4 inches. I had already done some other strip sets and I had cut them 1 1/2 inches and cut them the size they were suppose to be. So needless to say, I can't even make the quilt smaller. I have no more of those fabrics and they had matched the flannel I had planned putting on the back. I guess I should have just given up on quilting. I have to through away all that fabric, such a waste. In all of my years of quilting, I have never made such a huge mistake. Why bother?
    This is a great time to grab a friend for help. Invite them over to study your problem and share a great lunch together. Inspiration comes when our mood changes and a mood change helps solve problems. It sounds like you need a whole new quilt plan here. Look for ways to get together with quilt friends and get out of this funk you are in. Trust me. I have been there.
    Old 02-02-2014, 07:45 AM
    Banned

I would just adapt the rest of the pattern pieces so they are 1/4 inch smaller - yes, yes it is painful but not as painful as giving up on quilting and throwing it out! Please post pictures or tell us what the pattern is. There are so many talented ladies here I am sure someone can help you in shrinking it down to match the already cut pieces. DO NOT GIVE UP!!!
    Old 02-02-2014, 08:37 AM

Many times when I have been in a sewing funk, I made dumb mistakes when I push myself to get back into it. Just toss it aside and start afresh so you can find the pleasure in quilting again. I chalk it up to getting back in shape for future sewing – not pretty at first, but improvement does come.
    Old 02-02-2014, 08:42 AM

Dreaming: so sorry your are having a hard time. I can say with frist hand exps. how you are feeling. I took 1 1/2 year off. I could walk in and look at me fabric and cry, if I try to sew something every thing that I try to do was wrong EVERTHING. I'm just now getting back in the room and some day's it is great, others I should have gone to bed. So all I 'm saying to you to hung in there this to shell pass.
    Old 02-02-2014, 08:49 AM

There are never mistakes in quilting....only creative adjustments. You can use what you have cut and make your own design for a quilt. Sometimes, that is what gets the creative juices going again.