Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm in tears! >
  • I'm in tears!

• I'm in tears!

Old 02-02-2014, 08:52 AM

Dreaming: Please don't be discouraged. Maybe you need a quilting buddy or organization to help stimulate your urge to quilt. Try reaching out to others that are hooked. If you feel overly burdened by what you have already purchased contribute items that you don't want so they don't weigh you down. But above all don't give up, we want you to be in this with us.
    Old 02-02-2014, 08:59 AM
    Power Poster

Don't give up. My problem is that I NEVER have enought of one fabric and then I have to improvise !! We have ALL had bad days. This is the time to think outside the box. Maybe you can use the strips cut too short in the border?? Don't ever throw anything like that away. Pull it out of your trash and use it. Post pictures and will try to come up with some ideas for you. Hang in there!! HUG !!!
    Old 02-02-2014, 09:08 AM

Please do keep quilting. I know how it is to make mistakes, and I now say I can rip almost as fast as I can sew.
    Old 02-02-2014, 10:26 AM
    Power Poster

Don't give up. It just tests our resourcefulness when we run into these problems. You can always put the 1 1/4" strips away for another project and carry on with some more fabrics.... Pieced strips can be cut into wonderful patterns to sew, (tube quilts, nine patches, Irish Chains, Warm Wishes, etc.) so you may end up with two completely different quilts from your "mistake". Buck up and forge on!!
    Old 02-02-2014, 10:28 AM

Wow......this is a wonderful opportunity to make something beautiful out of what you think is a disaster! Think of this experience as a way to push your thinking in a new direction. I hope you keep on quilting and I can't wait to see the beautiful creation you make out of this "mistake"! We have all been there.......you are not alone.
    Old 02-02-2014, 11:00 AM

As you can see you are so not alone in this!
    Not sure what pattern you were trying, but I'm guessing you might be able to use your smaller strips as a complimentary block, possibly with an extra strip added.
    Another possibility would be to make smaller blocks with the smaller strips and larger blocks with the ones that are the right size and then create a whole new design, maybe alternating rows of each size blocks.
    I'm willing to believe you can come up with a very special alternative using what you have with minimal need to purchase something new or start over completely.
    In the mean time, do something else creative, or a small project like a table runner or a tote bag, so you can see quick results.
    Old 02-02-2014, 11:17 AM

Don't give up! I am thinking that it has been at least four years ago when I ended up with a "pile" of 1-1/4 inch I did strips that I did not need or want. Well I put them at the bottom of my stash and little by little have been using them. So just hide them and one day the strips will be exactly what you want.
    Old 02-02-2014, 11:37 AM

Dreaming, every one of us has miscut strips and fabric .....and more times than once. I know that if you just take a break, come back when you are rested and think of another way to use the strips or to abandon the pattern and go for something completely different. I have bits and pieces of not so good projects that became something beautiful in another piece. I want to encourage you, as all of the other people that have replied. Keep stitchin'!
    Old 02-02-2014, 11:40 AM

I seem to always mess up something on the few quilts I've managed to make, so much so that the current quilt I'm making is so spot on that I'm scared I missed something...for me it just isn't right if I don't find a mistake. I'm sure though the further along I get I will find that miscut fabric before the quilt is finished
    Old 02-02-2014, 11:58 AM

I did a quilt where I had one pieced block next to one fussy cut block throughout. The pieced block turned out at 5 inches unfinished. Then I fussy cut all 86 of the rest of the blocks at 4 1/2" each. Of course I used so much of the fabric that cutting it again was impossible. I was so mad at myself that I left the quilt unfinished for almost a year. Then I pulled it out and carefully put a thin border on each one of those 86 fussy cut blocks in order to make them into 5" square unfinished. I used a dark turquoise blue for these borders, on all 86 blocks -- ugg! -- it took forever. But the resulting block now has a "frame" that really "pops" the turquoise in all of the blocks, and the ultimate result was stunning and unique! Now I love the quilt.

The point is, you can look a what you did as a mistake, or an opportunity. It's entirely up to you.