Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm trying to find.... >
  • I'm trying to find....

• I'm trying to find....

Old 11-07-2021, 09:16 AM

Smile I'm trying to find....

...images of actual completed Judy Niemeyer quilts. So far all I've found are patterns and kits for sale. But has anyone actually MADE one of her quilts? I would love to see examples. Her designs do seem incredibly complicated and I don't want to start something only to find I'm in over my head. So if anyone has made any of her designs, I'd love to hear about it--good, bad, or meh--so I can make some kind of informed decision, especially if you know about some of her easier designs or ones that are truly too advanced for a hobbyist like me.

Thanks so much for your help!

Rusty

Last edited by RustyOne; 11-07-2021 at 09:17 AM. Reason: corrected a typo
    Old 11-07-2021, 09:18 AM
    Power Poster

I see them at shows, but I've never made one because I don't like them.
    Old 11-07-2021, 10:08 AM

Google is showing tons of finished quilts. I have a kit that I will tackle one day, it is paper pieced so I am sure it will be time consuming to do, I just need to make the time and be in the right mindset.
    I have seen a few members here who have done them, perhaps they will chime in and better answer your question.
    Old 11-07-2021, 10:13 AM

Try Pinterest for completed Judy Niemeyer quilts. There are a lot shown with some information about completing them and difficulties. Also look at youtube.com. There are some videos with info and tips about her patterns.
    Old 11-07-2021, 10:14 AM

I got this top as a mostly completed UFO earlier this year. The segments were mostly complete. I think it remained uncompleted because the person did not like taking the paper off, and she wanted the inner star to alternate colors. It was actually a pretty easy fix but I decided I was happy enough with the way it came out. I haven't quilted it yet because I don't think my skills are adequate...
    Attached Thumbnails 100_6066.jpg   100_6061.jpg  

Last edited by Iceblossom; 11-07-2021 at 10:15 AM. Reason: forgot to upload the pix! (again)
    Old 11-07-2021, 10:27 AM

I saw some at a local quilt show one time. The workmanship was incredible. But I suddenly found myself thinking of all those scrap quilts pieced to use up all the available buts of fabric....and what would those makers think of these works?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke
    Old 11-07-2021, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom
    I got this top as a mostly completed UFO earlier this year. The segments were mostly complete. I think it remained uncompleted because the person did not like taking the paper off, and she wanted the inner star to alternate colors. It was actually a pretty easy fix but I decided I was happy enough with the way it came out. I haven't quilted it yet because I don't think my skills are adequate...
    Oh, my! That is gorgeous !

Rusty
    Old 11-07-2021, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom
    Try Pinterest for completed Judy Niemeyer quilts. There are a lot shown with some information about completing them and difficulties. Also look at youtube.com. There are some videos with info and tips about her patterns.
    Thanks for the tips! I will indeed go a-lookin' !

Old 11-07-2021, 11:25 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Center of my Amazon Star. The top is completed but not yet quilted.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...94-623502.jpeg

And a Celtic Solstice wallhanging that is complete. It is backed with a mystery quilt.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...94-621753.jpeg

I am currently on Bali Wedding Star.

Last edited by Krisb; 11-07-2021 at 11:28 AM.
    Old 11-07-2021, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by tallchick
    Google is showing tons of finished quilts. I have a kit that I will tackle one day, it is paper pieced so I am sure it will be time consuming to do, I just need to make the time and be in the right mindset.
    I have seen a few members here who have done them, perhaps they will chime in and better answer your question.
    Silly me! I thought they were mostly pix taken from Ms. Niemeyer's own site. Plus I did not pick up on the paper-piecing info. I've never done that, so that's a skill I'd have to learn before taking the plunge. Sounds like maybe my eyes are too big for my stomach, as Grandma used to say!

Thank you all for all the help!

Rusty