Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm Upset!! >
  • I'm Upset!!

• I'm Upset!!

Old 04-02-2010, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by amma
    I wonder if that has something to do with why my PBS station has dropped her tv show?
    WHAT????? I didn't realize that. :hunf:
    Old 04-02-2010, 06:08 PM

Marie has been sewing for years. I have been seeing her more on the Janome website & I think she had a quilt design contest sometime last year using her fabric line.

Didn't Elanore Burns also recently get dropped by the sewing machine mfr she used to endorse too? I think now she uses BabyLock? Changes are constant.
    Old 04-02-2010, 06:45 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by raptureready
    -that doesn't mean that throwing scraps over her shoulder onto the floor doesn't still irritate me. ;-)

:) Why does that irritate you? I think it's a riot. :-D :-D :-D
    Old 04-02-2010, 07:02 PM

Personally I don't care who endorses a product or what they do or don't do. I make purchases based on what my wallet can afford, and for what I need the item for. Period.

As far as any celebrity is concerned in my book...times are hard for everyone here. Not just the regular "non celebrity" types either. In fact, the local movie rental store is going to close soon unless something drastically changes. They will be selling off all the movies and closing for good...their rent costs went up and they don't have the income because home movie rentals are down.

If home movie rentals are down...wouldn't movie theaters have the same problems? Wouldn't this all trickle back to the celebs themselves? Just something else to think about I guess.
    Laughter and lots of sunshine to everyone .
    Old 04-02-2010, 07:14 PM

I have to agree with Patrice and Sandpat.

I buy a product not because of name or who endorses it, but if I can afford it, if I need it, and if it is what I want.

Marie does sew and loves it. She may well just be the one to bring in younger sewers/quilters. If not she will be dropped and there are 200 more waiting for the spot.

Marie has been the spokesperson now for about, hmm, three years I think. I bought my Janome because of reviews from folks like you and me and because I actually used one and loved it.
    Old 04-02-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Originally Posted by raptureready
    -that doesn't mean that throwing scraps over her shoulder onto the floor doesn't still irritate me. ;-)

:) Why does that irritate you? I think it's a riot. :-D :-D :-D
    I don't know, it just always has. I guess I just assume that someone else has to come along and pick up after her but maybe she does it herself. I have a class with a woman that does the same thing. In class she cleans it up later, she says at home she cleans it up when she can't get to her machine safely. I love Eleanor Burns books, patterns, rulers, etc., just not that one little habit. I know, it's just me, other's probably think it's funny or never even give it a thought at all. ;)
    Old 04-02-2010, 08:58 PM

Rapture, I know what you mean about having something that a person does that bugs you, but I just wanted to let you know what prompted El's habit of 'just get rid of it'. When she started video taping her shows she had a little 'scrap' bag hung next to her sewing machine and the people behind the camera told her she had to 'get rid of it' for various reasons. That is what prompted her 'just get rid of it' toss over her shoulder. Also, I have been told that she collects all of the pieces and saves them. You can get those pieces of fabric on her website under fabric. From everything I have read on her 'community' she is a very down to earth and fun person to be around and work for. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting her yet, but maybe someday. On the other hand I have had the pleasure of meeting and taking a class from Kaye. She is a hoot and a pleasure to spend time with. She is not promoted as well in my LQS and I am not sure why. I am teaching her techniques in one store, but it has been hard getting the classes built up. She does have some great ideas and easy patterns for new quilters.

As far as buying what a certain celeb sponsors works the opposite with me. I NEVER buy anything that has Martha Stewart's name on it, no matter if it is a good buy or not. I didn't like her before she went to jail and I still don't like her :?.

Isn't it great that we all can choose what we like and dislike? That is what makes the world go around and our quilts so beautiful!
    Old 04-02-2010, 10:17 PM

My first thought about Marie Osmond being a spokesperson was that maybe it was to try to bring in the younger generation of quilters. Which we need. Hate to admit this, but a lot of these younger folks just look at some of us oldies as "old geezers that have seen better days." LOL I beg to differ.LOL When I go to purchase a machine, it does not sway my decision one bit as to who the spokesperson is or is not. I go by reviews or from people on forums that have the machine. I'm just that way. I like Paula Deen but have not bought one pc of her cookware. Not that I have anything against it at all. I have not been very crazy about any of Marie Osmonds fabric line. But if I run across some that I really like, I would not hesitate buying it even though I am not too fond of her. I really enjoy talking with Eleanor Burns but I'm not very fond of some of her fabric lines. She is a sweet lady. And yes her throwing fabric over her shoulder bothers me also.LOL I am a neat freak and everything goes into a garbage can, not the floor.LOL I like Kaye Woods. Hopefully she is going to do other things or take her expertise in another direction.
    Old 04-03-2010, 02:58 AM

She seems to have a hard time remembering whether she lost 43# or 50# on her diet. Really! Buy a machine because she endorses it? Are you kidding?
    Old 04-03-2010, 03:01 AM

Amen on Martha Stewart