Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm Upset!! >
  • I'm Upset!!

• I'm Upset!!

Old 04-03-2010, 03:10 AM

OMG you guys are a riot!!! I am TRYING to drink my coffee here while I read your remarks (God my keyboard hates it when I spit coffee on it)LOL I bought my Baby Lock before I even knew Eleanor promoted it (she can throw her bits on my floor anyday if I could pick her brains) Now I see Nancy (on sewing with Nancy) also uses only Baby Lock. I look at that this way - God love them, they're using MY machine!!! LOL Atlantic Fabrics has some of Marie's quilt kits, so I did know she sews. Anyway, I love my Baby Lock simply because I love it and I can trade up, which I've done 3 times now, to the point where I'm able to own a $10,000.00 machine. Good God, who knew!!! It lets someone like me, who could never afford to fork out all that money at once, gradually trade up. Endorcements or not.
    Old 04-03-2010, 03:53 AM

No, No , No. So sorry to hear they did that to Kaye.
    Old 04-03-2010, 04:08 AM
    Power Poster

To answer the question first- having a celebrity endorse any product turns me off b/c I find it hard to believe that they use the product. But that may be a bit cynical :D As for Marie Osmond- I remember a long time ago, when I was a new Mom she was too Good Housekeeping had a cute article about how she had a passion for sewing, with examples of things she made. I remember thinking how nice it was that with her hectic life and lots of money she enjoyed sewing.
    So maybe she still does?? But I'd rather see Kaye Wood or Eleanor Burns any day.
    Old 04-03-2010, 04:29 AM

All right, I had no idea that they made her get rid of her scrap bag--this must have been way before my time. When I met Eleanor last year in Paducah I was enthralled with her---she signed two books for me and was just as sweet as she appears on TV.
    I don't care if the spokesperson for Janome is Marie Osmond or Fidel Castro I still want one. If she can convince younger mothers that sewing is a great thing then YES YES YES!!! And, I guess they allot so much for advertising and hire whomever they can get for that price. The fact that Janomi can get a celebrity that really does sew is a plus. At least it's not like Sarah Jessica Parker trying to convince us all that she colors her own hair at home.
    Old 04-03-2010, 04:50 AM

I'm relatively new to this quilting/sewing gig. 4 years ago I did not know who Kay Wood is. Her image or endorsement would not have made a difference in my search for a machine and I did my own research. Many buyers, however, gravitate towards "image". This is natural and effective marketing. Marie Osmond is representative of a busy, creative, successful middle-aged mom - an overall positive "image". Cheap sewing machines are on display at the same place you shop for groceries. A person new to sewing, hoping to bring out the creativity in themselves could be lured into purchasing a cheaper machine, not knowing the difference in quality. Janome, along with Bernina, Pfaff, and other fine quality machines are more expensive, and for good reason. But they are still competing with the $79 sewing machine. Bottom line from a marketing standpoint: influence a potential sewing machine buyer with a positive, upbeat, recognizable image, then let the machine(s) speak for itself.
    Old 04-03-2010, 04:57 AM

I am new to quilting, and I did not know who Kaye Wood is.
    I searched on the web, especially for a picture of her, and
    when I saw what she looked like (lovely looking woman), I
    understood immediately what was going on.

This country is obsessed with youth and celebrity and
    being thin. Marie Osmond possesses all of that. Janome
    wanted a younger and more recognizable face to advertise
    their product. It's as simple as that.
    Old 04-03-2010, 05:00 AM

Like some other of us 'old fogies' Kaye Wood has been around for awhile. She has star rulers, books and lots more. Also she is the one who came up with the quick serged quilt they do for kids, this was aired on Simply Quilts years ago and I am sure many children received quilts because of of Kaye. Any quilt shop owner/employree worth their salt should be able to tell you about her.

Longarm
    Old 04-03-2010, 05:04 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by raptureready
    All right, I had no idea that they made her get rid of her scrap bag--this must have been way before my time. When I met Eleanor last year in Paducah I was enthralled with her---she signed two books for me and was just as sweet as she appears on TV.
    I don't care if the spokesperson for Janome is Marie Osmond or Fidel Castro I still want one. If she can convince younger mothers that sewing is a great thing then YES YES YES!!! And, I guess they allot so much for advertising and hire whomever they can get for that price. The fact that Janomi can get a celebrity that really does sew is a plus. At least it's not like Sarah Jessica Parker trying to convince us all that she colors her own hair at home.
    I am REALLY laughing out loud!! So funny :D
    Gee, I thought Sarah Jessica did her own hair :D :D :D
    Old 04-03-2010, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    When I buy a product it is because I have done the research and found it to be the best product for me due to quality, features, price, fit..... If a "celebrity" I respect peddles the item, I may give that fact one extra point, but not more.
    I agree.
    Old 04-03-2010, 05:25 AM

I do not buy simply because a celeb. endorses. In my area of the country, the big thing on the radio is to have one of the radio announcers plugging a cosmetic studio or various restaurants. The marketing ploy behind this is for the celeb. to talk to you 'just like she/he is your best friend'. There is one radio ad, in particular, that always makes me chuckle. She, supposedly, takes her entire family there frequently (upscale place and she has little kids- under 6 years old). My guess is that they eat there for free!

I do like Marie Osmond- she is of my generation. I think it is nice that she sews. I like Kaye, Nancy, Eleanor, Sue, etc. too. I don't think that I would go out and buy a particular brand machine simply because it is the one that I see a certain celeb using. I would buy the machine that I could afford at my favorite LQS because I trust the people in there.