Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm using all flannel for I believe the first time and need advice >
  • I'm using all flannel for I believe the first time and need advice

• I'm using all flannel for I believe the first time and need advice

Old 01-02-2014, 01:28 PM

I always pre wash flannel, even the high quality. I have found that even using the same brand flannel. some pieces will shrink more than others. I have also noticed that some of the more saturated colors in flannel will hold more die that will come out during the first one or two wash cycles. I wash with color catchers, and dry on high at least twice, use spray starch and iron.
    Old 01-02-2014, 02:06 PM

I don't pre-wash any of my quilting fabrics, except flannels, BUT it depends on what you're going to do with it. If you're going to make clothing or bags/totes/etc., then I would definitely wash it first before cutting. IF you plan on making a rag quilt, then I wouldn't wash before cutting/sewing/quilting.
    Old 01-02-2014, 02:35 PM

I am using tartan flannel to back a T shirt quilt. (I always wash all my fabric, so it was no trouble for me to wash it.) Just for fun I measured the tartan pattern before washing (it is a totally symmetrical pattern - there's a name for that but I don't remember it) and after washing...and the flannel shrank (shrunk?) measureably differently length of fabric vs width of fabric, so that the pattern repeats are no longer the same. That could have significant repercussions for piecing, if your cut pieces shrank (shrunk?) differently in their two dimensions.

Alison

Last edited by alisonquilts; 01-02-2014 at 02:37 PM.
    Old 01-02-2014, 02:38 PM

**Wash & Dry it.

I just used flannel in a quilt & I wash & dried a
    sample and you could see a big difference to an Unwash square.
    Old 01-02-2014, 02:47 PM

It is wise to do a warm wash and dry ahead of working with it - I have found that it seems to always shrink considerably no matter the brand or quality.
    Old 01-02-2014, 03:27 PM
    Power Poster

I've made TONS of flannel quilts- you will get lots of responses here- from people who insist on washing their flannels 3 or 4 times before using them- to ones who always wash at least once- to ones who do not wash them at all. I have made lots of quilts that had regular cottons and flannels in the same quilt top= some washed, some not- they have always turned out just fine. my 'decision' on handling flannels is this- if it is a good quality double sided flannel unless I am worried about the color bleeding I do not always pre-wash it. if it is thin, loosely woven, lesser quality I wash it- in hot water, and dry it in a hot dryer- I want to tighten up that weave. if it feels funky, or smells funky, I wash it- if it is 'meaty' (as in heavy, luxurious) I do not pre-wash it. I learned many years ago to not stress over this kind of stuff- if its thin, cheap, loose, yukky- wash it. if its nice quality, soft, heavy, tightly woven- don't worry about it.
    Old 01-02-2014, 03:31 PM
    Power Poster

I pre wash every piece of material that comes into my sewing room! I usually measure before and after to check the amount of shrinkage. That is one reason I will often buy the end of a bolt or another 1/3-1/2 yard extra of material.
    Old 01-02-2014, 03:32 PM

I think ckcowl has hit the nail on the head. If you're dealing with flannels from different manufacturers particularly and the weave is different, then you will certainly have different shrinkage rates. And, yes, those deep colors can be a pain.
    Old 01-02-2014, 04:16 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I bought a kit from Fons and Porter and it's all flannels. It looks to be high grade flannel. I guess I am going to wash it on warm twice and dry it and iron it. I don't really care for ironing all the pieces of fabric -- that's why I was asking if I could get away with not washing it, but only one person said if it was high grade I could not wash it. Well, I better wash it I think. Thank you all for your help. I love you all so much! My quilt is going to be great now that I took your advice!!!!
    Old 01-02-2014, 05:53 PM

I wash everything, after a very bad experience with bleeding fabric. I was shocked at how much the flannel I've washed has shrunk. If someone knows of a brand of flannel that doesn't shrink a lot, I'd love to hear about it! I wouldn't make a quilt with unwashed fabric as it could shrink at a different rate in different places.