Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Improving "eyesight" >
  • Improving "eyesight"

• Improving "eyesight"

Old 11-02-2010, 02:52 PM

Since reading this thread few days ago, I've noticed I do something when I'm sewing. When machine sewing with reading glasses over my contacts, my face is very close and my eyes are working hard to focus on such a little spot. When I take off the glasses, I don't look up at the room right away. I look at something just a few feet away and let my eyes adjust for a second or two. Then when I look across the room, my eyes don't go berserk trying to distance focus.

I've had lots of eye problems through life. Glasses starting at age 4 and a lazy/wandering eye. I went through lots of eye therapy as a child. The vision is still pretty bad in that eye, but at least it doesn't move all around. Two-eye depth perception is pretty much non-existent for me, but somehow I have figured out how to compensate for most things. So, I thank God for the vision I do have, especially since I work my eyes as hard as I do with quilting, reading, driving, computering, etc., ....
    Old 11-02-2010, 02:54 PM

Tried to see if you were on the chat screen, but didn't see you. Well, they said I didn't have any signs of Glaucoma and every thing look well in my right eye. Guess you would say that I am already partially blind in my left eye, since I can't see out of it by itself. Well, can see light but things are blurry. So guess they don't call that blindness yet. Don't know about this time, but Lenscrafters did check the peripheral vision a couple of years ago. If I recall, I remember the assistant saying no need to check that eye since I can't see out of it. But this was the second appointment two weeks later when I couldn't see out of the glasses after he changed my prescription. That was this passed August.
    Old 11-04-2010, 01:40 PM

I used to wear contacts and had to use reading glasses for close work. Now I seldom wear contacts, wear glasses for nearsightedness and take them off when I am sewing as I can see close up better without any glasses.