Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Incorrect instructions??? >
  • Incorrect instructions???

• Incorrect instructions???

Old 12-20-2012, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by lalaland
    I ran into this at a class I took, the pattern was not available for purchase so we had to use the teacher's pattern. She had copied the back of the pattern with the supplies and fabric we would need and I received that as the supply list before the day of the class so at least I was ready with the fabric needed, or at least I thought. The instructor admitted she had never followed the pattern and when we started to follow the instructions, guess what, the fabric requirements listed on the back of the pattern were wrong. Fortunately I had brought extra fabric, and made lots of notes. I didn't buy the pattern when it came in.
    I have been fortunate to always have instructors who make a sample before the class. I would be disappointed in a teacher who hadn't.

It's not just quilting patterns. I don't know how many times I have repeated incorrect crochet instructions before realizing that they were wrong and that I should have trusted my instincts and not automaticcaly think I was the one who made a mistake.
    Old 12-20-2012, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by snipforfun
    I never trust free instructions from a fabric manufacturer. I was told by a designer that they throw them together and edit them later after the public finds the errors.
    Sounds like Microsoft!
    Old 12-20-2012, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by memepat
    I've been quilting since 1980 and I'm addicted. My question - have you follow the pattern direction to the letter to find out they are wrong. This happened to me this week. Thank goodness the pieces were bigger and could be trimmed down. I think if I was publishing a pattern I would have every quilter I knew make it to check everything out. I realize it could have been a typo. Just wondering if this has happened to you? How you over came the problem. Thanks Pat
    The first quilt book I bought in 1975 had a pattern with a patch 1/2 inch off--thought I was loosing my mind until I measured.
    As a quilt book author, I really vet my pattern, making sure they work. Told my editor that they had to be absolutely perfect or that I would pull the book. The galleys are where an author gets to do the final check. If it goes to press with errors, blame the author. She had a chance to make it right. And squaring up is not in my book of acceptable corrections. SandyQuilter (Correction still has not been made--I am SandyQuilter from Trophy Club, Texas)

Last edited by sandyquilts; 12-20-2012 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Wrong attachment to member
    Old 12-20-2012, 06:32 AM
    QKO

Many block patterns can be recreated in EQ7. If you have it, it's often a good way to check for accuracy of patterns, free or otherwise. It's a good idea to check the accuracy of patterns before cutting, especially if they've been converted from or to metric.
    Old 12-20-2012, 07:01 AM

I purchased a block of the month a few years ago with the idea that this would be a great take along project to hand piece at ice hockey rinks/games (definitely a lasting project). Fortunately there was another person in the same group who was sewing the blocks as soon as they arrived as TWICE during the year we received surprise packages with extra fabric because something had been cut wrong or measured wrong - not sure if it was a store issue or a pattern issue. Just thankful that I'm not pulling the patterns out 2 years later to find that I don't have enough of a now out-of-print fabric to fix it.

Cheers, K
    Old 12-20-2012, 07:26 AM

there used to be a website where errors in book patterns were corrected, don't know about kits/LQS stuff.....unfortunately, I did not save the website for corrections, but I am sure someone out here has it....if so, please let us know........
    I too feel if you pay the high price of a book, all instructions should be spot on. It happened to me once and I called the publisher and was compensated for the ruined fabric...........a phone call and some persistance sometimes works......
    Old 12-20-2012, 07:47 AM

Thank goodness I don't use patterns. I look at a block (or blocks) that I want to use, draw it out, and then decide what size I want it to be. I do my own math and it works out fine. Yet another reason to make scrappy quilts.
    Old 12-20-2012, 07:50 AM

I've never had this happen to me fortunately, but I was always surprised to see the number of corrections published in the magazines I used to subscribe to. It's understandable that mistakes occur once in a while, but they seem to crop up far too often. Just once I happened to notice a correction to a pattern I had intended to make but hadn't started yet. That time I was able to make a note of the changes, but what if I hadn't seen the correction or my subscription ran out and I never even got the correction?
    Old 12-20-2012, 08:02 AM

Yes, this has happened to me--but it didn't happen when I was aware of "computer corrections available to any quilter nowadays"--so I spent several days agonizing over it, scrapping the whole mess, and it's scattered among all my UFO stuff in my sewing room--probably bound for one of my sister's yard sales in 2013.....if I can find someone to help me do the down-sizing effort that is so desperately needed out there......by "out there" read that my sewing room is a building all to itself about 50 yards behind my house....
    Old 12-20-2012, 09:56 AM

This happens far too frequently. I no longer buy Indygo Junction patterns ... take a look at their corrections list!
    http://www.indygojunction.com/shoppi...n-corrections/