Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Incorrect instructions??? >
  • Incorrect instructions???

• Incorrect instructions???

Old 12-20-2012, 10:10 AM
    Power Poster

Heaven's yes! It does happen and that is a valuable lesson to remember. (Mental note to self...LOL) I try to make one block up to make sure that the pattern is right before cutting multiple block sets out. It can be so heartbreaking to find it out after you have cut a whole quilt out.

One in particular that comes to mind was the Rythum and Blues quilt from red rooster. A free pattern for thier site. Thank goodness I had enough fabric to re-cut!
    Old 12-20-2012, 10:25 AM
    Power Poster

It hasn't happened to me yet with quilting but it has with crochet (usually in the middle of the project). If I can't figure it out on my own and have bought the pattern on line, I email the seller. If those don't work, I share it with another crocheter and if that doesn't work.... I quit.
    Old 12-20-2012, 10:51 AM

Hi again. Guess I should count my lucky stars this has only happened to me a couple of time. Especially, after looking at the correction list IBQLTN posted about indygo junction. Fabric and books/patterns/magazines are too expensive for this to happen. Also, the time it takes to re-calculate the pattern and a second cutting. I will get off my soap box now. It just seems logical that things would be checked and re-checked before a pattern was published. Thanks for listening.
    Old 12-20-2012, 03:26 PM

A friend of mine makes samples for the LQS and she often finds mistakes on patterns. Anything from misspelled words to incorrect measurements. She checks the various web sites for updated information on the patterns and informs the author of the pattern of anything new. I guess the part I don't understand is the authors or mfg. who don't even acknowledge incorrect information on the patterns.
    Old 12-20-2012, 05:01 PM

Yes, that happened to me, and I was new to quilting. Luckily, it was a pieced quilt so I could just add more of the background fabric outside the design to make the blocks the right size. I agree that patterns should be tested before they are shared or sold.

I just made a mug rug and didn't scroll far enough down -- at the bottom was a link that stated it was for options and pattern corrections. I think if it was my web site I would just put the corrections in the pattern. Easier to change than a printed book!
    Old 12-20-2012, 06:13 PM

This happened to me once when I was following a pattern out of a book. I got so frustrated I was about the throw the whole thing out. My DH came in to see what the ruckus was about and studied the pattern to figure out one of the blocks in the book was wrong. Hurray, it wasn't me this time!! Anyway, I fixed it and the quilt came out really pretty. It was my first drunkard's path. hey maybe that explains why the block was wrong! It really was a "drunkard's path"
    Old 12-20-2012, 06:44 PM

It has unfortunately happened to me...I cut according to the instructions and had twice as many of one block than I needed! Being short, I better than being short, I guess!