Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • INSULBRIGHT ?? >
  • INSULBRIGHT ??

• INSULBRIGHT ??

Old 12-31-2009, 04:00 PM

I just made 50 Ohio State "o"'s as candle matts for my daughters wedding reception and used insulbright so the heat of the candles would not melt the plastic tablecloths. I loved it and so did everyone else because after all the effort, I did not even get one to keep. Yes, it has a right and wrong side. The shiny side needs to go where the heat will be---if your pot holders are not protecting your hands, then you probably have the shiny silver side to the part that your hand touches.
    We tested the candle holders with the matts I made and without on the plastic tablecloths and they really made a difference.
    Old 12-31-2009, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by fktsewing
    I just made 50 Ohio State "o"'s as candle matts for my daughters wedding reception and used insulbright so the heat of the candles would not melt the plastic tablecloths. I loved it and so did everyone else because after all the effort, I did not even get one to keep. Yes, it has a right and wrong side. The shiny side needs to go where the heat will be---if your pot holders are not protecting your hands, then you probably have the shiny silver side to the part that your hand touches.
    We tested the candle holders with the matts I made and without on the plastic tablecloths and they really made a difference.
    That's great info, thanks!
    Old 12-31-2009, 06:33 PM

I use insulbrite and warm and natural for my potholders. I make them just like a quilt, but only 9" square. I've given them as gifts, they seem to love them. I have made some for myself and wouldn't use anything else.
    I'd say don' take something hot out of the oven and walk to blocks with it, I imagine it will get pretty hot!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!
    simple quilter
    Old 12-31-2009, 06:37 PM

I could swear it says on the package it has no right or wrong side. I'll have check that out when I buy some more. My package is thrown away, as I only have little of it left.

HAPPY NEW YEAR.
    simple quilter
    Old 12-31-2009, 06:42 PM

I've heard not to use canned air either. It sends the lint and whatever back into the machine. I also use my small vacuum attachments.

HAPPY NEW YEAR
    simple quilter
    Old 05-16-2010, 11:22 PM
    Google Goddess

wow, thanks for all of the comments on this thread
    Old 05-17-2010, 12:04 AM
    Gal

When I was in Junior school (many moons ago) we made an oven cloth and our teacher got us to use an old matted up knitted jumper (100% wool) for the fill, we used cotton fabric one side and plain sacking/hessian on the other. To this day I use the same method to make my oven cloths and it works well, easy to sew through and cheap. Wool does not burn like cotton does and if thick enough, keeps the heat out.
    Gal
    Old 05-17-2010, 12:10 AM

Yes, I have. What size needle are you using? It could cause you to have more build up if you're using too large a needle. I haven't experiences this, I made a total of 42 hot pads, using daystyledesigns free motion flowers and then filling in the flowers background with pebbling, and didn't have that problem.
    Old 02-24-2012, 05:26 PM

I use old towels for pot holders, I usually use a double thickness and they work great.
    Old 06-07-2012, 08:40 AM

I know this is an old thread but the info here is great. Since this was 4 years ago is there anything else out there that works as good or is better then insulbrite? Any other tip that might be helpful? I'm wanting to make insulated covers for cold items. Thanks