Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Insuring your stash? >
  • Insuring your stash?

• Insuring your stash?

Old 07-27-2010, 09:31 AM
    Power Poster

it would be considered contents if there was ever cause for a claim. my insurance guy told me to keep my receipts with other tax papers in a safe place. most policies allow a certain amount for different contents. the more documentation you have the better. such as your sewing machine, if you have no documentation and claim sewing machine they may only allow $50 (just an example) if you paid $5000 for it you want to be able to claim that and make sure you have replacement value on your policy that way if you paid $7.95 a yard for fabric then find it is now $10.59 a yard you can still replace it...
    Old 07-27-2010, 09:37 AM

I just talked to my insurance agent and she said that all of my sewing stuff would fall under personal property. Well, what I have in my sewing room alone would cover over half of what we have for personal property replacement. I'm going to go down this week and up the amount. If something happened, I would be just sick, but at least I want to be able to replace what I have. She also said that I should take an inventory of each room including pictures. What a daunting thought that is!!
    Old 07-27-2010, 09:39 AM

thanks everyone for the great feedback. I guess I'll be calling my agent this afternoon.
    Old 07-27-2010, 09:53 AM

I have a rider on my Homemowners policy for all of my quilting "stuff". When I dicussed this with my agent his first reaction was "of course....how much could you have". When I went on to describe the value he then said "this I have to see". So once he saw it it still was a bit ..undervaluing till I pulled out a yard from the stach and said "each one of these is worth about 9- 10 dollars" ... he did a quick estimate of one of the many shelves ... and said "yep you should have a rider". He then took photos.
    Incidently the total replacement value of everything was over 30 thousand dollars.... so if you are not sure call your agent and make sure they understand the real value.
    It would be impossible to recover and have the fabric/machines/notions assets if it were not insured. No way I could come up with that kind of cash for all the "stuff".
    Note: this did not cover the finished quilts. that was sufficiently covered in the base policy.
    Old 07-27-2010, 10:03 AM

Great Great information - especially if you have thousands invested in machine and fabric.

Thank you ladies.
    Old 07-27-2010, 10:05 AM

Thank you for your explaination!
    we have not had a fire but had an accident several years ago.
    My then 2 yr old son drove the car( fully packed and ready for our trip home) into the lake, where we were vacationing in Lancaster!
    Of course I had bought fabric and quilt tops and thread and well you get the idea!
    His little brother was still in his car seat, both were fine!
    Mom was hysterical for hours!
    Ruined everthing! quilting stuff, clothes, camera ect...
    well the homeowners pays for items in the car.. Luckily I had used a debit card to pay for most of the quilting things as they were not going to give me what I paid(and all the receipts were destroyed)
    Learned my lesson I will pay the extra $10-$12/month to have my fabric covered!
    Old 07-27-2010, 10:20 AM

This has been one of the most informative threads in a long time!! Thanks Rachel for the question! Anyone reading this should seriously consider contacting their insurance agent & inviting them over for a quick peek into our sewing domains. A first-hand look (complete with an accurate estimated value) is the only sure fire way to be certain you have adequate coverage. Since most companies interperet differently, anything less would be a real gamble. When visions of quilt patterns dance in my head at night I don't want them interrupted w/devastating images of disaster in my sewing room! I'm calling my agent today!
    Old 07-27-2010, 10:55 AM

I just e-mailed my insurance person. She said that I have "replacement value" on my insurance after my deductible. She also recommended I take pictures of everything, put them on a CD and put them in my little safe. She also thought it a good idea if I could give a rough estimate of the amount of fabric (in yards) and put that with the CD and any receipts I have (which is none as I buy my machines from previous owners). But I can put the user's manuals in the safe also. So, sounds like a busy weekend with the camera.
    Old 07-27-2010, 11:26 AM
    Banned

I had to find an insurance company to cover my Gammill longarm. I bought it new in January and just like a car I am making payments on it so the finance company wanted to make sure it was covered if something happened to it. It took me quite awhile to find an insurance company that would cover it.
    Old 07-27-2010, 12:20 PM
    Power Poster

Checked with our agent. I'm covered and DH's gun collection is covered. That's about all we care about as for as our processions. I told DH we can buy furniture anywhere. LOL One thing to be sure about if pictures are taken. If on the agent's computer they can be lost. Be sure the agent uploads them to the company's server which is always backed up.