Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Invisable thread >
  • Invisable thread

• Invisable thread

Old 08-05-2013, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    Are you doing fusible applique? People use a variety of edge finishes on fusible. Most do not use satin stitch (even with cotton or polyester threads) because satin stitch creates a really hard edge. Many use either a small zigzag or a blanket-type stitch. The edges are partially exposed but may not fray -- depending on type of fusible used. What fusible are you using?
    I am using steam a seam. I want to make the happy daisy quilt, and I was thinking I could use invisible thread to eliminate the many different thread colors> I want to make the quilt a queen size, using as many different colors as I could.
    Old 08-05-2013, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    Are you doing fusible applique? People use a variety of edge finishes on fusible. Most do not use satin stitch (even with cotton or polyester threads) because satin stitch creates a really hard edge. Many use either a small zigzag or a blanket-type stitch. The edges are partially exposed but may not fray -- depending on type of fusible used. What fusible are you using?
    I am using steam a seam. I want to make the happy daisy quilt, and I was thinking I could use invisible thread to eliminate the many different thread colors> I want to make the quilt a queen size, using as many different colors as I could.
    Old 08-05-2013, 04:22 PM
    Power Poster

I use invisible thread for applique all the time- I use a small blanket stitch most of the time- once in a while I choose a small zigzag- but never satin stitch- it Is not a good choice for satin stitch- a satin stitch is a very heavy stitch- which I never use for applique- but some people do- with a thread in a coordinating color- since it really stands out & stiffens the applique edge.
    Old 08-05-2013, 06:50 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by donnai
    It's fine to use invisible thread for this; it's using the satin stitch with invisible thread that you won't like. Make a few sample shapes and try different stitches to see what you like. Some of the most common are (1) narrow zigzag, (2) blanket stitch, (3) hem stitch, (4) straight stitch inside the applique shape, or (5) other decorative stitch such as a feather stitch.

If you Google "machine applique stitches" and then click on "images", you can see photos of different ways quilters finish fusible edges. You can use any of these -- with the exception of satin stitch -- with invisible thread.
    Old 08-05-2013, 07:50 PM

I'd go with a smallish zig zag with invisible thread for a bed quilt.
    Old 08-06-2013, 02:34 AM

I am with Prism99, post #15. I learned in a couple classes that when it comes to using invisible thread, the better choice is polyester over nylon. It has something to do with the heat from the iron....nylon does not hold up well.
    Old 08-06-2013, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by donnai
    If not satin stitch, how would you machine applique to keep edges from fraying?
    You can turn the edges over. I cut my pieces 1/8 to 1/4 inch bigger than I need them to be and turn the edges down with a glue stick. Then I don't have to worry about fraying.

Or, if I'm using a fusible, I just don't worry about it. Unless it is washed a lot, there is generally very little visible fraying. I use a light zig zag or a blanket stitch.

Or, if you want satin stitch, use a coordinating color- it becomes part of the design element.
    Old 08-06-2013, 08:04 AM

thank you for your suggestins. I guess I won't be doing satin stitches. You are all so helpfull
    Old 08-06-2013, 08:40 PM

I have used a very small zigzag stitch, not satin stitch and it was fine, just play with your settings, are you doing raw edge or freezer paper, that will make the difference on the fraying